Lead Pot Distillery...It's all about the Head!

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Lead Pot Distillery...It's all about the Head!

Post by Harold_V »

If memory serves, antimony is the alloying agent in (old) wheel weights. No zinc included. I'm not aware of zinc being used in common lead alloys, but my exposure could be questionable, although it should be noted that zinc is immiscible in lead.

Don't assume that sheet lead is pure lead. When I built the castle, the stock on hand at the supply house wasn't sufficient to cover my needs. I ended up buying some lead that had 8% antimony----something I came to regret, for when the brick was washed, leaching occurred, resulting in cracking of the installed material.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I cant seem to find the detail that lead will not mix with zinc and that could be the very problem I was having with casting mini-ball bullets that seemed to have all kind of surface flaws.

Again, this becomes an issue of verified scrap, when being clever at reducing costs over virgin material costs.

Computers and casting, very similar. Garbage in, Garbage out. :cry:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

steamin10 wrote:I cant seem to find the detail that lead will not mix with zinc and that could be the very problem I was having with casting mini-ball bullets that seemed to have all kind of surface flaws.
Indications are that zinc is scarcely soluble in lead (less than 2%).
If memory serves, antimony doesn't really alloy with lead, either, but it has the capability to harden lead. You can see evidence that it doesn't truly alloy in that wheel weights are not all that ductile, and break with a crystalline structure. Don't claim to be an expert, so what I say may not be true. Check it out if it's critical to you.

Here's something of interest, although the source may or may not be reliable.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... olten-lead

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Lots of good knowledge over at castboolits, I used to be active there.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

There's a respectable amount of information in regards to lead and lead alloys, although you may have to look in the right place to discover that which you seek.

Having refined precious metals, I've been (remotely) exposed to many processes that help one understand how it all works. For example, gold and iron will readily alloy, while silver and iron will not. I think you can see how you'd get rid of iron, especially when you understand how readily gold and silver will alloy.

Many are under the impression that all that is required to sort elements that are combined in solid solution is to heat them to the fluid state, at which time the heavy one goes to the bottom (stratification). Unfortunately, that doesn't work, especially with elements that are quick to alloy.

The Parkes process is used to separate lead from silver, by melting with zinc. This process works because of zinc's limited ability to alloy with lead, and its affinity for silver. You might enjoy reading about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkes_process

Harold
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Many years ago (probably '60's), there was a fairly active casting contingent casting zinc bullets. The finished product had a number of detrimental characteristics (lower weight bullets, brittle bullets that did not expand, zinc contamination of melting/moulding equipment requiring separate equipment for zinc and lead-based bullets, higher heat to melt zinc, etc.) Zinc bullets were more tolerant of high velocities. Don't remember whether there was a barrel contamination issue or not. Might be something that would keep the fires going should jacketed bullets become too expensive or difficult to get.