Romy PSL Barrel from MN 91/30

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

LX Kid

Romy PSL Barrel from MN 91/30

Post by LX Kid »

Had a PSL kit for some time now and decided to make a barrel from a Russian 1942 Mosin 91/30 barrel. PSL barrels pretty much dried up or when found were pretty expensive. Hardest part was making the chamber safety ring where the bolt meets the chamber face. If you mess up here the barrel is toast! Do the chamber first so you don't waste time cutting the journals if you mess up. Here's a few pics of my efforts using a ShopTask 3-In-One lathe. With only 20" between center there was a lot of moving the barrel back and forth to make the cuts. Some of my cuts were just a tad off so I had to knurl them.

(Drat! Now I to go back and resize all my pics less than 800 pixels.) Pictures coming sooner or later!

LX Kid

Re: Romy PSL Barrel from MN 91/30

Post by LX Kid »

Before you ask, yes I cut the barrel to 24-1/4" and threaded it. I suggest using your component measurements rather than something found online. They seem to change from part to part. This is still a work in progress cause I have to do some tweaking on the magazine and mag well. All in all it was a hard project for me and a big learning process in the use of my lathe. I since have bought another 3-In-One with a 31" center to center and sold my 20" lathe.

TRX

Re: Romy PSL Barrel from MN 91/30

Post by TRX »

Lookin' good! The Mosin barrel looks like the way to go.