Scope Ring inserts

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

jpitz31

Scope Ring inserts

Post by jpitz31 »

I would like to make some 30 mm to 1" scope ring inserts out of brass or aluminum.

Turning the OD and ID seems straight forward. But can some one recommend the best way to slice the rings exactly in half?

Should I use a slitting saw with tube mounted in v-blocks? Should I compensate for the kerf thickness of the slitting saw and make the ID and OD slighter larger by the width of the kerf?

Any ideas of the best way to mount the tube and cutting it lengthwise would be most helpful.

Thanks

Joe
Harold_V

Re: Scope Ring inserts

Post by Harold_V »

You might consider making the ring a little extra long, but with a long shank, so it can be split by holding the piece in an indexing head, or even a vise. Once split, you can easily part them off to the desired length.

It would be my opinion that you would NOT alter the desired dimensions so you'd compensate for the kerf. That would look goofy, and would be effective only at the top and bottom of the pieces, with the sides clearing. You'd be better served to make them the proper diameter, with the kerf leaving the gap generated. If you'd like to make it minimal, use a VERY thin screw slotting saw. They are available down to a few thou in thickness, and can often be purchased at jewelry supply houses, at least those which sell tools for making jewelry. All of mine came from such a source.

If you make this your choice, consider making an arbor for the saw blade, so it has ample support, allowing just enough clearance for the blade to make the cut down each side. Thin blades have a slight tendency to wander if they are not well supported.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

30mm to 1 inch bushings they are going to be thin. given they sell for 6 to ten bucks and have a wall thickness of 1/2 of .181. for a final thickness of .0905" i would fashion a expanding mandrel to hold then as i slit then by hand with a jewlers saw

if much recoil is involved i would make the internal dimension undersized and then size with a lapping bar.
jpitz31

Post by jpitz31 »

Thanks Harold and Hammermill, LMS has a 1/32 slitting saw I am looking at for under $10.00 plus arbor.

I will post some pics when I figure out my process.

Joe
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Not to be "the stick in the mud here".
Why not purchase the correct rings size for your scope ?
Even then the rings should be hand lapped so as not to induce stress on the scope tube .
Also , what about matching the aim point to the mechanical zero of the scope .

Steve S