Cannon diagram

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: Harold_V, JackF, GeorgeGaskill

xo18thfa

Cannon diagram

Postby xo18thfa » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:54 pm

From this image on the internet. Did not know all these parts had names.

Have a Happy New Year, Bob
Attachments
Cannon.jpg
Bob Sorenson, Las Vegas, Nevada

JackF

Re: Cannon diagram

Postby JackF » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Interesting Bob, I didn't either. :o Are you planing to make a cannon? If so , it would be nice to see another thread on this subject. :)

Jack.

mklotz

Postby mklotz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:44 pm

I'd be interested to know what logic or mathematics was used to decide where to place the various reinforcing rings.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

JackF

Postby JackF » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:16 pm

Maybe just by examining earlier failures?

Jack

steamin10

Postby steamin10 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:03 am

First, dont go crazy over one picture of a late European design, with a bunch of scribbles on it. This gun is typical of designs through the 16-1700's, for the English channel nations. The designs varied with the nation and gunworks that cast and bored the tubes. Early guns were all bronze. Later years made Iron cannon as it became cheaper, and easier to produce. Later guns into the civil war (where the aging Napolean design was prevalent) became Parrot rifle, Ordinance rifles, Dahlgrens, and others. These guns were mostly abandoned by 1900, as steels became usable for tubes, and the powders became cordite and Nitro-celulose based, with cased or bag charges. The advent of breech loaders.

Remember the Chinese invented gunpowder about 1000 AD and were casting brass and bronze before that. Asia had working hand cannon, and land sledge cannon, when discovered by Europeans many years later. (alegedly, Marco Polo, who had bargained for, or stolen the recipe for gunpowder). Actually, the Moores were using black powder before the whole of Europe, so the magic may have come from there.

It is the details of information, after you ask the curious question, that boggles the mind. Making a sword is much the same. All of the parts and shapes of a simple combat blade has names, and are specific if you ask an armorer to make one.

This drawing does not show any 'dolphins', a typical ornament for the unshipping of a tube from its carriage, for movement or repair, on shipboard mounts.

xo18thfa

Postby xo18thfa » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:34 pm

JackF wrote:Interesting Bob, I didn't either. :o Are you planing to make a cannon? If so , it would be nice to see another thread on this subject. :)

Jack.

Hi Jack. A cannon has been on the "to do" list for 40+ years. I had a quarter scale 12lb mountain howitzer in 3/4" bore. Got it from Dixie Gun Works around 1970. Made a carriage. Shot it often. Then my mom sold it at a garage sale when I was in the Army. Women!!

I like the mountain howitzer look. Looking thru "the stuff" I found this diagram. If I ever do a cannon, it would be 1/4 scale of this in 3/4" bore. Like the one I had.

The example above has a nice shape, but would that not be a real job to turn??
Attachments
model1835a.jpg
Bob Sorenson, Las Vegas, Nevada

JackF

Postby JackF » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:18 am

Bob, That looks like a nice project. I made a copy of that drawing for a possible future project. :D

Jack.

Return to “Gunsmithing”