New army, black powder .44

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

steamin10

New army, black powder .44

Post by steamin10 »

I have in my collection a new army brass framed .44 cap and ball pistol, that has a problem. This item was factory made and assembled, but the timing, and locking mechanism is hurt, in that it does not advance the cylinder, or lock up properly, and the trigger/hammer wont hold full cock. When purchased the whole thing was stuck, and would not rotate. By removing the cylinder with the center pin out, I got at least the hammer and trigger to move, but it seems this thing is a mess. Before I rekit this brass framed revolver, that dont revolve, anybody familiar with this type of Italian made junk?

I wanna know, if I should attempt to repair this, or just build a shadow box to display this rather pretty piece on a wall?

I have a Navy kit I put together, with a round barrel that shoots quite nice, and a store bought Octagon barrel, that looks like a twin, that is fairly nice too. The main difference is the bluing on my kit sucks, and is nearly raw steel. I tried cold blue, but it just is not a good look.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Rex

Re: New army, black powder .44

Post by Rex »

Dave, I built one of those from a junker in .36 years ago. Finished it in plum brown. Turned out good. Recently got one like yours - 1851 Navy in brass frame, which Pietta calls a "Confederate". Those things use the same lockworks as Colt used for 100 years or more. You can find all kinds of detailed disassembly and trouble-shooting help online. It's pretty easy after you do it once or twice (and you will) and parts are cheap from Dixie or track of the Wolf. It's a good way to learn revolver mechanics and tuning.
The one I recently got had timing problems which turned out to be a bad barrel wedge. If the barrel is not wedged firmly back toward the cylinder, the timing is off. This one nicked the edge of the primer pockets on every cylinder.
As long as yours has an undamaged cylinder where the hand pushes, you should be able to get it running. Even then, new cylinders are available for not much money.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK, its just a coupla screws to take it down, but I dunno what to look for. I did not think to look on the tuber for 'expert help'. The local pistol smith just smiled at me, and said good luck! So they are apparently a challenge.

The Navy models are of the wedge type. The New Army has the heavy top strap surrounding the cylinder, and were later converted to cartridge,,,over cap and ball.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Rex

Post by Rex »

The only New Army I know of the the modern Ruger, which was never brass framed. So I don't know what you have. But I've had a lot of revolvers apart, none were especially difficult. Just find the directions online