1911 front strap machine checkering?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Metalman

1911 front strap machine checkering?

Post by Metalman »

Anyone here have experience with machine (mill) checkering the front strap on a 1911 frame? I'm not looking to invest in the specialized fixtures just entertaining the idea of doing two of my own frames, both aluminum. It may not be worth it don't know.
On one of the guns I'm almost better off selling it and buying a new one already done vs sending it out to be done. I'm not considering refinishing, I do my own Cerakote.
Ernie F.
Harold_V

Re: 1911 front strap machine checkering?

Post by Harold_V »

A picture of the piece with the desired finish might help. I'm not familiar with the checkering you mentioned, and the mention of 1911 doesn't seem to bring up any thoughts.

That said, if one can determine the function desired, could be there's an easy way to accomplish the task.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Personally, I put checkering in the aesthetics category.

If you are after functionality, nothing will beat a strip of grip tape.
DSC00256.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Harold_V wrote:A picture of the piece with the desired finish might help. I'm not familiar with the checkering you mentioned, and the mention of 1911 doesn't seem to bring up any thoughts.

That said, if one can determine the function desired, could be there's an easy way to accomplish the task.

Harold
Harold, the Colt Model 1911was a design by John M. Browning and was the U.S. standard side arm from 1911 until 1986. Even now it is still being manufactured by Colt and a host of other companies.
The area in question is a curved surface on the forward face of the hand grip the checkering there to keep your hand from slipping.
Keith
Attachments
Colt Model 1911
Colt Model 1911
M1911A1[1].png (63.7 KiB) Viewed 22327 times
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Here is a brief video of the machine process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBCVfa91-E
The fixtures and tooling are too big of an investment to do one or two pistols. Even the specialty files to do it by hand are kind of not worth it. Unless someone wants to do it for the personal satisfaction of learning the skill. Very tedious and time consuming, more so by hand.
The gun smiths got me by the you know whats on this one.
Ernie F.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

LVRR2095 wrote:Harold, the Colt Model 1911was a design by John M. Browning and was the U.S. standard side arm from 1911 until 1986. Even now it is still being manufactured by Colt and a host of other companies.
The area in question is a curved surface on the forward face of the hand grip the checkering there to keep your hand from slipping.
Keith
Sigh!
Thanks, Keith. In my original response I wondered if I should mention that it might be related to the Colt, but after giving it some thought, I decided against it. My memory of those old pistols isn't very fresh, as I was discharged from the National Guard back in '62. The outfit I was attached to was an M.P. Company (625th MP's, now defunct, in Salt Lake City, Utah). I've never been a fan of pistols, always preferred revolvers.

That said, I don't have any tricks up my sleeve to make the checkering any easier.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

In the '70's at the Colorado School of Trades, instead of expensive checkering, we were taught how to 'stipple' with a hammer and a center punch. This involves holding the punch about 1/8" off the surface of the part and striking it with the hammer. While keeping up the striking process, the tip of the punch was moved in random directions over the surface. Eventually the surface became stippled and provided a more secure grip. A good "stippler" could produce a nice even job and after blueing (read Dulite) the job was more than acceptable, and a lot cheaper. (Please do not confuse "stippler" with "tippler", they may be related but not the same. :lol: )
I'd advise practicing on a chunk of bar stock about the same radius as the front strap of the 1911 until you are familiar with the process.
Just another suggestion.

--earlgo
(I'll dig out the .45 if you are interested in a picture.)
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

You can, with care, checker Aluminium using carbide wood checkering tools, I've done some 1911 mag eject button extension outer surfaces which turned out nicely.