Hardening a gunbox

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Hardening a gunbox

Post by SteveHGraham »

Truck maneuverability is the reason I went with a folding AK. I didn't ever want to face a situation in which I was struggling to get a full-length rifle past a windshield or door pillar. I considered getting an AK pistol even though it's kind of a novelty gun, but I thought it was worth it to put up with a somewhat longer gun in order to get something I could hold onto better.

I thought I had a nice cheap solution to the truck problem. Now I see that AK prices have gone completely insane, so the weapon I thought would be cheap to replace if stolen is actually close to the price of an AR. The Vz58 is no help, because their prices have gone nuts, too.

I'm amazed by AK inflation. No matter how well they work, they're still cheesy guns that cost little to produce. It's bizarre, being able to get a real, machined AR-15 for less than a stamped AK-47. Not that I would want an AR-15, but at least when you buy one, you can see what you paid for.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Agreed. The M17S is no longer available and brings considerably more than I have in mine. If I were to lose it, I would probably get a Mini-14 and add one of the nice bullpup kits. A friend of mine had a pretty trick little Mini-14 that also ran dependably. Then again, I haven't been in the market, so no idea what the price on those has done.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
David2011

Post by David2011 »

A 500 or even an 800 pound safe is very easy to move if it isn't bolted to the floor. All it takes is a pry bar and a bag of golf balls. TIp the safe back, place a few golf balls under it and keep putting golf balls in its path. A five year old could push it. I moved my 800 pound safe this way twice but had to cut the bolts off to move it the second time. I also do not think the steel sides of that safe would resist thin abrasive wheels in an angle grinder. A safe of equal size with 1/4" steel construction would have over 1000 pounds of steel in it plus the fireproofing and gun racks so I'm guessing mine is probably 8 or 10 gauge. I consider it a deterrent that will hopefully deter theft. Given time and the tools in my own shop it can be defeated.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Generally, I prefer stealth to brawn for security; hide it.
As a DIY person, you have the skills to build a hidden space that no one else will know about.

Hidden catch or lock; around 2 corners where geometry can get lost.
It's fun.