Most difficult Gunsmithing problem?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

golfpin

Re: Most difficult Gunsmithing problem?

Post by golfpin »

We live in a very small village, quite a lot of hunting done in the area.
Dude comes to me one day with a nice Musgrave in .308 K 98 type action, asking the following ...........can I please remove a live round stuck in the chamber, oh and by the way there is a cleaning rod broken off stuck in the barrel!
No question in my mind as to who is more dangerous customer or weapon.
The repair.....stripped weapon of wood .....got hold of 3 suitable lengths of threaded rod got 2 pieces of 6 mm plate drilled 6 holes in plates... isoceles triangle style drilled further hole in centre of one plate to be a slip fit over end of muzzle and seated the hole with suitable "o" ring. On opposite side of same plate tapped to accept Zerk fitting [grease nipple] trapped weapon between the plates hooked up a hydraulic chassis jack to the Zerk and pumped it up. Popped the primer out, all well flooded with oil so cartridge "safe" made a suitable puller to screw over back of case [it was a reload and with a mistreated extractor claw it had damaged the cartridge rim] out came case and then with a rifle rod and brass end tapped the broken cleaning rod out. Suitable words to owner.
Golfpin
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I don't suppose you took pictures of your setup, that you described, golfpin. How did you retain the plates from pushing off the end of the barrel?
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

G,morning Red on a beautiful autumn morning,
Sorry if my narrative skills are that poor, I always thought of myself as another Hemmingway .I suppose I should be aware that Hemingway was successful!!!

The 2 plates trapped the gun between them with the 3 threaded rods about a metre long, 1 plate at the muzzle end, with the "o" ring, the plate had been bored in the middle to accept the diam of the muzzle end, At the bottom of that hole I fitted an "o" ring, on the other side of the SAME plate drilled and tapped to take the Zerk fitting obviously in direct line with the rifle bore. At the other at the end of the rifle , the receiver/action [all the woodwork off] the other plate drilled to accept the three rods in a triangular fashion so this plate acted as the "stop"
The 2 plates are now connected via the 3 threaded rods pitched in a triangular fashion the rifle now trapped between the plates and the muzzle end embedded in the "O" ring and creating a seal
. Hooked up the hydraulic pump to the Zerk and let the hydraulics do the rest.
. My PC skills are so poor that I don,t know how to scan or take pics and get them onto the PC, much to my vast frustration, but am working on it, Must get some young tyro to come and help.
Apologies I have repeated myself a bit but I hope it clarifies the scene.
Cheers Golfpin
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

From the description, it is assumed that the hydraulic pressure was applied at the muzzle, resulting in pushing the bullet inside the case, and ejecting the primer, resulting in submerging the powder in oil, rendering it safe. Great setup!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Thank you for the compliment Harold, you have it in a nut[shell].
Being somewhat of coward I am very wary of firearms, brought up with them all my life but not a gunsmith by qualification so I omitted one step [safety!!!] in that when I applied the pressure I was standing behind a wall.
All the best Golfpin
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

golfpin wrote:Thank you for the compliment Harold, you have it in a nut[shell].
Being somewhat of coward I am very wary of firearms, brought up with them all my life but not a gunsmith by qualification so I omitted one step [safety!!!] in that when I applied the pressure I was standing behind a wall.
All the best Golfpin
A wise decision for testing an unknown setup. Nothing wrong with being cautious when things going south can prove fatal.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
redneckalbertan

Thanks for the added description Golfpin, I've got a good mental picture of your rig now!
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Pleasure Red, thank you all for the interest shown.
Golfpin.
redneckalbertan

I find it very interesting to see how other people solve problems and their thought process. Then when I run into problems that I can't solve my way I try thinking like other people.
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Hi Red another way of thinking is to stop, thinking, and let other people do the thinking for you. With apologies and thanks to all who contribute to this great site and the wonderful world of the web.
A blessed and great Easter to all.
Golfpin