Etch-O-Matic

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

kurt

Etch-O-Matic

Post by kurt »

Anyone use a Etch-O-Matic to mark there barrels? If so how well do they work, any drawbacks? I just don't like the idea of stamping.
jcbgunsmith

Re: Etch-O-Matic

Post by jcbgunsmith »

I have had one for a few years. Much cheaper than buying stamps for every caliber or tying to space individual stamps. Works well once you get used to it. If you leave it on too long the letters get fuzzy. To short of time and the do not form completly. Works best if you degrease the metal first and then tape the stencil to the metal. Then apply the etcher to the stencil. You can then lift the tape on one side of the stencil to see if the letters formed properly. If not you can lay the stencil back down and to loose the index with the letters. You will also need an old typewriter to make the stencils on.
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

With custom made stencils they can produce very nice markings. I was never very happy with the DIY markings that can be made with the little carbon papers that come with them. There are some fancier versions available as well, but I think the real key is in the stencil (and taping it to the prepped surface as jcb noted.)
GsT
kurt

Post by kurt »

Thanks guys.