This post continues the artillery thread from ...

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: 1861 8 inch siege Mortar

Post by Harold_V »

This one's the ultimate cool, George. I trust the "cannon ball" with the three holes is the projecile?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Re: Y'all have issues.

Post by Harold_V »

Yep, I agree, Gene. My friend, Don Atkinson, Medford, is so secure he owns a couple of them. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Have you wondered what they would be like without the muzzle brake?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GeorgeGaskill

The shot in the pic of the 1861 is a ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

real shot. The "thumb" hole is for a fuse; the "finger" holes are grabbing places for a device much like ice tongs used to lift the shot into the barrel.
Harold_V

Re: The shot in the pic of the 1861 is a ...

Post by Harold_V »

I thought I was looking at a bowling ball. What might the ball me made of?

H
Tel

Post by Tel »

my guess would be cast iron Harold.
Tel
John

Post by John »

Looks like a bowling ball to me. They make some nice sounds with the three holes that wistel on the way up and down.
GeneT

Re: Y'all have issues.

Post by GeneT »

I don't think it would be too bad, Harold. I'm guessing the real recoil reducer is the weight (30+lbs) of most of the guns. My thought is it might move you back farther, but I don't think it would hit noticeably harder.
GsT
GeorgeGaskill

I ran the brightness up on the image and ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

still think it is a real cast iron shell. A bowling ball is about 8.5" in diameter which is too large for an unmodified 8" barrel.
John

Re: I ran the brightness up on the image and ...

Post by John »

Your probably right, I'm just used to shooting them plastic bullets. I heard a couple of fellows in California got arrested for having a mortor with a few bowling balls. The cops called it a distructive device. Never did hear what the outcome was.
GeorgeGaskill

That event took place north of Sacramento and ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

the arresting agents were Forest Service as I recall (who likely aren't particularly schooled in what is or isn't a destructive device.) I, too, haven't heard any disposition on the case but the law here in the Party's Republic prohibits private transport of more than one pound of black powder in a vehicle so I think they will go after that angle. The gun itself is legal according to my understanding of the law.
John

Re: That event took place north of Sacramento and ...

Post by John »

I moved away from there many years ago, glad I did. I understand that if you die your guns have to go through a dealer befor they can go to you next of kin. One pound of powder will only get 4 shots. I could take 2 pounds last time I went to a shoot in Canada.
Al_Messer

Re: 1861 8 inch siege Mortar

Post by Al_Messer »

Any scale plans available?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"