Export information

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Al_Messer

Export information

Post by Al_Messer »

Where can I get the straight dope on what is required to ship a rifle overseas.?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
kurt

Re: Export information

Post by kurt »

I will send you to another place, Straight dope? That I don't know, and if you find out let me know please.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/u ... 6;t=000347
GeorgeGaskill

I would start with the Dept of Commerce ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

(Bureau of Customs) and then the ATF. The recipient should check with his governmental agencies about receiving it, too.
TheDoubleD

Post by TheDoubleD »

Here's how it is done.

First is the rifle an antique made in or before 1898. If so no export licence is required.

If it is a modern rifle you will need an Export License from the Department of State's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls. Here is a link to their website DDTC. Normally you have be registered as an exporter to export a firearm. There is a one time export exemption. To find the explantion for a one time export license on the DDTC website, on the left hand menu click on Licensing/get forms. Part way down the page under forms you will see this sentence.
Special Instructions for Firearms.

Click on it. This will take you to a guide on filling out forms to export firearms.

In Section V (B) on page 12 of the PDF file or page 9 of the document you find the information about the one time exemption to being a registered exporter.

If the firearm you want to export has a rifle scope on it you may need an export license from Department of Commerce, Bureau of Export Administration. The Commerce regulations are very complex and not easily used. You should contact them to determine if the rifle scope you want to export is going to a country that will require an BXA Export licnese. Here is the the Export Administration Regulations. EAR

You are also going to be required to file a Census Bureau Shippers Export Declaration to export both a rifle and a rifle scope.

The easiest way to export a rifle is to find a registered Exporter and have them do it for you.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Thanks, Gents. Looks like I have a lot of homework to do.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"