Anybody else here have a CETME?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Toolroomtrustee

Anybody else here have a CETME?

Post by Toolroomtrustee »

Seven years ago in preparation for my 58th birthday I bought a Century CETME through a Shelton area dealer. I was also involved in preps for a lap band weight loss surgery so didn't test it as thoroughly as I should have when I got it. Basically it shoots well and extracts the fired cases but won't eject them so it won't load the second round from a magazine. I wonder if anybody here also has a CETME with similar problems.
I have read on other forums that the ejector can be lengthened a bit with material welded on and then filed down, I haven't tried that yet. I did get a H&K G3 ejector which is somewhat similar to the CETME's but havent tried installing it either.
Looking for ideas.

Larry Murray
ENCO 9x20, Homier 7x12, Unimat, Atlas and South bend 7" shapers
ENCO 9x20, Homier 7x12, Unimat, an Atlas and a South Bend7" shaper (neither working now)

www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

No help with your request, Larry, but I'd like to welcome you to the forum.

Things are a bit slow in this arena, but we have some excellent people dispensing advice, one in particular, the moderator, George.

Harold
Gunbuilder

Cetme

Post by Gunbuilder »

Toolroomtrustee,
I would call the importer, find out what the warranty is. I think CAI is lifetime warranty, not sure.

Thanks,
Paul
Toolroomtrustee

Century Arms doesn't have a lifetime warranty

Post by Toolroomtrustee »

Sept 28 I called customer service at Century, They don't have a lifetime warranty on the CETME but they did give me the phone number of their
gunsmith who does CETME work and suggested I call him to see what he'd suggest.
I'll report back here on what he says when I make the call.

Larry Murray
ENCO 9x20, Homier 7x12, Unimat, an Atlas and a South Bend7" shaper (neither working now)

www.chaski.com
Holescreek

Post by Holescreek »

There is a video on youtube that I just saw at 6am. It fully explains the feed issue and shows the fixes. It was one of the longer 10 min videos. Essentially the magazine well is angled and the mags have stops which fit that angle. sliding the mags front to rear would cause the mag to raise and lower. Your mag well is too far to the rear which makes it too low for the bolt to strip the next round.

His fix was to cut away the front of the mag well and weld a spacer to the back of the mag well inside to allow the mag to raise into position. You might be able to find the video by searching "century cetme" or something like that I had just searched "cetme" and ran across it during a fit of insomnia. I'm just starting the process of building 3 cetmes. -Mike
Holescreek

Post by Holescreek »

CB&Q

Post by CB&Q »

Holescreek wrote:..... Your mag well is too far to the rear which makes it too low for the bolt to strip the next round.
Far as I have been able to determine, Century Arms uses mainly German-made H&K military parts to put together and sell "CETME"s.

This problem sounds like a batch of improperly-made receivers managed to get auctioned off, and one of us happened to "catch" one.

My own CETME, also Century Arms, would not accept any magazine other than the one that came with it. Looking at the receiver very carefully, I found that while ALL H&K 91 or G-3 mags ought to fit, my receiver had a little "curl" of it's sheet metal in one corner, in the way. RElieving it with a chain-saw file allowed any mag to now fit.

CB&Q