New Issue of Machinist's Workshop

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Doc Hoy

New Issue of Machinist's Workshop

Post by Doc Hoy »

Folks,

In the April/May issue, I found two things upon which I simply must comment.

First of all, in the article on making a pantograph (p. 11) I noticed that the author, Mogens Kilde (Who is obviously very capable, knowledgable and skilled) appears to be using a lathe for some of the milling operations.

I am very new to metal working. In a previous discussion I was cautioned not to use a bump knurling tool on a lathe because the lathe is not intended to absorb the forces applied in bump knurling. It seems like similar forces would be created in a milling operation, yet this seems not to trouble Mr. Kilde. He obviously knows what he is doing.

Can someone comment about the use of a lathe for milling?

I recently bought a Harbor Freight horizintal band saw. (93762) I like Harbor Freight for two reasons; 1. Their prices are low, 2. There is a store about eight miles from my front door.

I know that the Harbor Freight reputation for quality is not all that great. I have a couple of machines from HF which I like but I am just a home shop guy and would not be able to appreciate machines of significantly higher quality and expense.

I like this bandsaw. It is relatively solid and precise. But I know it is not the best one on the market.

My second point is that in his article on building a hammer stand, Brad Ocock, includes several photos of the Chinese horizontal bandsaw I just bought from Harbor Freight. It is gratifying to learn that I am not alone in my feelings toward Chinese maufactured machinery.
Tnx,

Doc

I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday. ~Abraham Lincoln
BobWarfield

Post by BobWarfield »

Boy, there sure is a lot of bump knurling being done without apparent ill effect, including in my shop on my relatively small lathe. To each his own, I suppose.

RE milling on the lathe, it certainly can be done, but it can also be a painful affair compared to milling on a mill.

RE Harbor Fright, they have quite a few tools that are not bad. I got a lot of mileage out of my small HF bandsaw before I got a big 20" vertical. I continue to get a lot of mileage from my HF tool grinder. And I recently tried their threading machine when I plumbed my shop for air. It worked great.

Cheers,

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator Free:
http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html
Doc Hoy

Thanks Bob

Post by Doc Hoy »

I think I will stick to the milling machine for milling.

My next project is a scissors type knurling tool so I can stop fretting over that issue.

I am also going to stop feeling like a second class citizen because I like some of the HF offerings.

Thanks again for the response.
Tnx,

Doc

I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday. ~Abraham Lincoln
S.L.Schroder

Re: New Issue of Machinist's Workshop

Post by S.L.Schroder »

Bob--- What threading machine? The only thing I can find is the electric pipe threading machine. Is that what you got? I don't think it is because you said you bought it after you got plumbed with air. Sorry to steal the thread.
S.L.Schroder

Re: New Issue of Machinist's Workshop

Post by S.L.Schroder »

Wait---now I think I get it!! That might have been my first "senior moment". I'm guessing that you used the pipethreading machine to run black pipe for the air in your shop. Dang, I was hoping that there was some cool airpowered tapping machine. Sorry for the confusion.