Show a rifle I built from scratch

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

I am here on this forum because I am building an I.C. engine from castings and looking for others doing the same..Here - as a way of introducing myself I'll show a Winchester highwall I built from barstock..It is .38-55 caliber..I used a barrel blank but made every single other piece including every bolt,pin, and spring...I built a few other guns that come out nice as well....But I am burned out on the guns and now working on scratch building a fullsized 3hp engine..
Attachments
old save 038.jpg
old save 044.jpg
old save 043.jpg
old save 053.jpg
jpfalt

Re: Show a rifle I built from scratch

Post by jpfalt »

That is a really nice looking piece. You should do well with scaled engines.
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

jpfalt wrote:That is a really nice looking piece. You should do well with scaled engines.
Thank you jpfalt .. I am currently building full sized 3hp water cooled 4 stroke inboard marine engine per plans drawn in 1900 ....Then will build wood boat for it and head to the lake...I made that sound easy didn't I? Toughest project I've ever started, be a miracle if I actually finish it..Engine will weigh excess of 300lbs when finished.....
Okay here is another gun I built.Its a copy of an original Marlin model 1892 in .22 caliber..Again I used a rifled barrel blank that I milled to tapered octagon ..And used a storer bought tubular magazine but made every single other piece....I much prefer antique American made guns so I built a few of them..
Attachments
100_4012.jpg
100_4008.jpg
100_4010.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Beautiful workmanship!

Welcome to the forum.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Beautiful job----looks like it was made by old J M Browning himself!! Did you make the plans yourself or are they available for purchase on the web?? Again, a beautiful job!!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Harold V I appreciate the compliment..It been a good hobby but takes too long..I still have 5 Winchester model 1873 rifles in various stages of completion..I can find time to finish about 2 gun builds a year.. I dont get super anal about'em..If when I am done and they look good and dont blow up in my face when I shoot'em I stand'em in a corner and call'em good..

Heres another I built..This is my version of a Marlin model 60 .22 semi auto...Bought on Gunbrokerdotcom ,I used original barrel and tube mag and used the bolt and other guts from an original but I made the steel reciever and carved the stock..I Cast the buttplate..And too I made the trigger guard and that was by far the hardest part of this project.......Lot of fun to shoot it. Nice plinker.
Attachments
100_3998.jpg
100_3973.jpg
100_3983.jpg
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Al_Messer wrote:Beautiful job----looks like it was made by old J M Browning himself!! Did you make the plans yourself or are they available for purchase on the web?? Again, a beautiful job!!
I have more tools than old man Browning had but course I dont have his talent....I like to copy original guns and prefer to not work from plans..but I find I am able to build a pretty good project by working from simple drawings....This is the actual drawing I followed to build several Stevens model 44 and 1/2s.This one in .38-55 caliber was the first..
Attachments
steve44.5-1.jpg
topview.jpg
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Here is another picture of the 44 and 1/2 in .38-55 caliber and the gun shown with the scope is .22 ..I also built a Stevens 44 and 1/2 in .17HM2 and one as .32-20...I really like classic AMERICAN made single shot rifles..Ohhh I might add that I built the peep sight on the larger rifle..Did a decent job of it but it aint perfection by no stretch..I didnt engrave graduations on it is one detail I didnt finish......Well I lose some steam by time I am near the end of a project..
Attachments
sight3.jpg
finished 22 b.jpg
Chuck38

Alphawolf - Browning Highwall

Post by Chuck38 »

May I get a copy of the drawings you used to build the Browning Highwall?
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

There is a guy sells highwall plans on ebay. I dont know if they any good. I didnt use his plans.

I copied a LOWwall that I inherited from Granddad and years later when I wanted a HIGHwall I merely changed the dimensions to suit..
Pictures shows the Lowwall I built in .45 Colt..It was the third gun I built after a pair of .22 caliber Stevens Marksmans..Took me three months to build it..I swore I'd never build another one but then ended up building the Highwall which was just as much trouble to build..Tough, tough,tough..Lots of close fitting parts buried up inside where you cant see what is hanging up on what..
Attachments
My lowwall.jpg
alphawolf45

I love antique AMERICAN made firearms

Post by alphawolf45 »

Here is the gun I am building now..Its a Winchester model 1873 in .22LR . Trapper length carbine. All it lacks is make/fit firing pin and one spring and color case hardening the metal and she would be done..I am off doing other projects for a while but will finish it and another about like it before this year is over...I used a bare receiver bought on gunbroker dot com and bought tube magazines and cut down a Ruger 1022 barrel to fit it..I made lower tang, lever , toggle links , hammer, trigger , springs and all bolts and everything else..Carved the stocks and cast the bronze buttplate...Months of work..Heaps of fun...This was a project that I didnt have either an example gun to copy nor did I have plans so had to work some magic with the computer..
Hey again--..Know any forums with guys building full sized engines from barstock and castings?
Attachments
100_0223.jpg
Chuck38

Post by Chuck38 »

I ordered and promply received the dimensioned drawings for a highwall on eBay. Very detaied on 11x17 paper. drawings included three trigger styles; standard, single set and double set.

Very satisfied, so far.

Chuck38