Help stripping a Winchester 52 bolt please.

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Abner Picklewhite

Help stripping a Winchester 52 bolt please.

Post by Abner Picklewhite »

My first post and my little knees are just knocking.

I just bought a Win Mod. 52 and am in the process of stripping and cleaning it. Firstly, the bolt doesn't appear to come out readily without some black magic and rather than jimmy something up, I simply dropped off the trigger mech. and removed the bolt. This is a 1935 made Mod. 52 not a later 52B,C or D. The later ones have their own techniques.

Secondly, I would like to strip the bolt itself and it does have a large screw slotted nub on the back of the bolt but it doesn't yield easily and rather than find out tearfully that it's left handed or a tiny machine screw with a HUGE head on it, I would rather seek knowledgeable advice.

SO, any tips for removing the bolt from assembled rifle and how do I strip the bolt?

Thanks in advance. I have read some posts on this forum and realize I have landed in the right spot. Some of the stuff made by you fellows is amazing.

AB
Highpower

Re: Help stripping a Winchester 52 bolt please.

Post by Highpower »

I don't know anything about Winchester 52's, so take this with a huge grain of salt..... :oops:

Have you tried pushing the trigger forward or holding it back while trying to remove the bolt?

Also - is there a cross pin just forward of the "large screw slotted nub" on the side of the bolt?

Again, I'm just guessing here.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Log on to Gun Parts/Numrich Arms site and get an exploded drawing from them.

If it is anything like the Model 69, you have to pull back on the trigger to completely remove the bolt and I can't remember the "large slotted screw", but I seem to recall that it is a plug that retains the mainspting and firing pin. I seem to remember a pin but 50 years is too long to remember details. Best wishes and good luck!!

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Abner Picklewhite

Thanks to both of you and "no" to both of you! There is no crosspin in the bolt, the only two pins in the bolt being those that hold the extractors in. Also manipulating the trigger doesn't lower the sear. I had a good look at the rifle once I got the thing apart and it appears that the trigger mech must be removed to remove the bolt. I guess this is not surprising for a 1919 design. The trigger mech is very much like a Mauser and the sear stands way up into the boltway over 1/4". It appears to be required to drop the trigger mech. As for stripping the bolt, I'm still scratching my head there.

AB
paulj84003

Post by paulj84003 »

all the 52s that i recall, to remove the bolt, check to see if the weapon is unloaded close the bolt then pull the trigger with the safety off. then push the trigger as far forward as it will go pull the bolt out of the action. PaulJ
"a wise man learns by experience, a wiser man by the experience of others"
Abner Picklewhite

Thanks for the note. I tried your method and it doesn't work. It appears as if the 52 is quite substantially different in design from the 52B-C-D's. There is also the chance that I have an aftermarket trigger that prohibits the removal of the bolt. I have had this apart as I have mentioned and it simply will not come out without dropping the trigger mech.

AB
paulj84003

Post by paulj84003 »

If you have a very old model 52 the trigger must be removed before the bolt can be removed from the action.
acording to the instructions in catalog 82, this is very old before zip codes and postal zone numbers. for instance a barrel for mod 52 is 11.00. (the following is verbatum from the catalog ) "to disasemble the bolt remove bolt retainer pin and the bolt retainer, pull the bolt handle to rear and remove firing pin guide pin, remove bolt handle, firing pin and firing pin spring." The bolt retainer and its pin are attached to the bolt handle

Paul J
Abner Picklewhite

Very helpful PaulJ. Thanks for that. I will take a couple of those $11.00 barrels if you don't mind. That page you quoted wouldn't have a schematic would it? I would like to know what the bolt retainer pin is.

AB
paulj84003

Post by paulj84003 »

No photo of the pin but here is the bolt retainer photo. I hope the scan will show. Paul J
Attachments
scan0001.jpg
Abner Picklewhite

Thanks again Paul.

I shall include a picture of my bolt. As you see, it differs from the one in your diagram. They did refinements to the 52 apparently, until they launched the 52B. You see my firing pin has a large screw head on the back, holding on a "bell". That bell is large enough to prevent the bolt handle collar from sliding off the back of the bolt. I tried loosening the screw head to the point of deforming the sides of the slot and thought better of applying any more force. This MAY be the way to get the bell off but I just detest the thought of snapping off a screw. Oh, I tried turning left and right too.

I think I got the bolt clean enough in my ultrasonic cleaner to not worry about it but if I do get confirmation that this is indeed a screw and turning it hard enough will indeed remove the bell, I shall carry on.

AB

hammermill

Post by hammermill »

here is a link to a book on the subject, look inside for early bolt drawings, also get the pattent numbers and google them for more info.

http://www.amazon.com/Winchester-Model- ... 087341487X
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I just happened to notice this thread, I hope its not too late to avoid a disaster for the original poster. The bolt on a model 52 doesn't just come apart, they are somewhat of a jigsaw puzzle. A friend of mine has a 52 and it seems he bought some special tools as well to aid in disassembly and reassembly of the bolt.

be careful with that bolt parts for the 52's are rather hard to come by or non existant

tim