Glass bedding question

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Al_Messer

Glass bedding question

Post by Al_Messer »

When glass bedding a Mauser type action, are you supposed to remove the entire trigger/sear mechanism before applying the bedding material to the inletting? TIA!!

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
hammermill

Re: Glass bedding question

Post by hammermill »

al i would if for no other reason than to keep then clean of bedding compound

modeling clay works well for filling screw holes and forming relief filetts around sharp edges
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

If you ask 10 different fellas who have bedded many rifles each how they do it. You will get the same basic answer with at least 20 variations.

I remove everything that can be removed. I've used modeling clay to plug holes etc. Pain in the toosh to remove afterwards. I use small pieces of good old everyday [duct tape] to cover screw holes, magazine wells, trigger areas, etc. For release agent I've never used anything but Johnsons Paste Wax. Works well for coating the threads in the guard screw holes also.

JM2c
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

I've glass bedded my share of Mausers and what I do is bed from the front of the magazine cut to about 2" forward of the front of the receiver. And also the tang behind the trigger cut out. If this is in a new stock, I will pillar bed the tang and the front screw also if the trigger guard doesn't contact the recoil lug.

On my personal ones, I will cut the extension off the front of the trigger guard so I can truly pillar bed the front with a metal pillar.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Can you post a photo of how this looks when done? I can't picture the front lug removal in my mind---yet. TIA

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

I'll try for photos tonight when I get home. Basically, the pillars need to be attached to the stock so shrinkage or other changes do not affect the bedding. The pillar that is part of the trigger guard defines the distance between the receiver and the trigger guard so if the stock shrinks, the metal work will be loose in the stock. Since you can't glue the trigger guard to the stock (I guess you could), I remove the pillar from the trigger guard and epoxy one into the stock. Also, I will replace the rear stock bushing with one that is easier to glue in.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

Al_Messer wrote:Can you post a photo of how this looks when done? I can't picture the front lug removal in my mind---yet. TIA

Al

You don't remove the [recoil lug]. That is part of the reciever. The extension George mentions is around the front guard screw and is part of the bottom metal in front of the magazine.

Another of those picture v 1,000 words thing. :wink: