making gun barrels in the lathe

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

homebrew .357

Re: making gun barrels in the lathe

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi ctwo, I supose it`s about where you are at, now if you are in the USA you guys can walk in to walmart or taco del and pick up a blank barrel no sweat. :lol:. And if I was in the USA I would never have tryed this, but in New Zealand nobody makes black powder barrels, yes I could have got one from Track of The Wolf but the challenge of making it!!yer. As I have said I have Bill Webbs CD on his rifle barrel making Machine and this is were all the ideas come from, including the rifle cutting head. But for you, if you can get a 12" length of blank barrel it would be the best way to go and you would still have to fit it in the hand gun, still a lot of work there.
But if you want to see the cutter :?: ,I can take some pics for you,cheers,357 :wink:
spro

Post by spro »

Taco Bell and they don't sell gun barrels. You have an outdated impression of the freedoms once insured. We have had years of infested regs by nameless beurocRATS disturbing rights in our own Constitution. The deal is to render us unable to defend by any means. The latest example is the Fast &Furious scandle. This is becoming a different country as you know how that goes. They always present a "reason" which they helped manufacture, then clamp down.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi guys, yer, I know what you mean, I was just joshin, :lol:. If they armed the teachers in schools you could stop a lot of your school shootings. But if you could get some blank barrel it still would be a lot easier way than trying to set up to make them your self. cheers, .357.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Yeah, I told a friend that I was thinking of making my own revolver. He said, "Why? You know you can just buy one, right...?"
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
ken572

Post by ken572 »

homebrew .357,

I am really enjoying your out of the box inventiveness. :idea:
GREAT JOB.. :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

homebrew.357,

I found these articles you might be interested in. :idea:

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/j ... ml#rifling

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/j ... ml#rifling

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Ken, Thats interesting stuff, Bill Webbs machine called for a long tooth geared plate as well, in N.Z that is big $$$$. But I guess I got lucky useing what I had and as it works ok I`ll stick with it as it worket out nice and cheap, Homebrew.357 :wink: Cheers and keep your powder dry.
TRX

Post by TRX »

Homebrew, did you build the rifling cutter too? Do you have any photos or comments?
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi TRX, Just saw your post, yes I did "make" it myself, but it is not my design, it comes from Bill Webbs imfo and it is his design and his one was for a 6mm bore!.
The body is made of silver steel and hardend, The cutter was made from a parting off blade in hss and a small piece of steel is brassed/welded on to the back, this is for the pin hole to hold it in the cutter body. The body is drilled through and one end threaded for nut to hold in the ramp ajusting assebly that lifts up the cutter a little bit at a time.
The body should be a snug sliding fit in the bore so the cutter carn`t jump up and grab while cutting. I hope all this helps, it`s hard to tell all the bits ,any way here are some pic`s of the bits, Cheers, .357. :wink:
Attachments
This is the cutter head on the rifling tube,held on with a pin.
This is the cutter head on the rifling tube,held on with a pin.
The pen is pointing to the cutter in the body.
The pen is pointing to the cutter in the body.
This is all the parts inline where they fit.
This is all the parts inline where they fit.
This is the ramp ajuster for the cutter,the left nut screws to the body,threaded rod slids in/out, ajustment is done on the second nut,screws out to let the ramp go in more.
This is the ramp ajuster for the cutter,the left nut screws to the body,threaded rod slids in/out, ajustment is done on the second nut,screws out to let the ramp go in more.
the main body and slot for the cutter, held in with a pin.
the main body and slot for the cutter, held in with a pin.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

thanks for posting the cutter pics. its always nice to see the parts and thier relationships.

while mr webb used a rack for his barrel making machine a gear box and stepper motor make a very compact assembly and with a little bit of programing would let you cut variable twist barrels.

all in all i like the out of the box aproach and trips to the old junk box?? to put your machine together.

hammermill
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi HammerMill, Well this is that a hobby is all about, making something from nuthing and having fun thinking of how to do it. By the way, that barrel has changed a bit, it is now octagonal and have made a foresight to fit in milled slot.
I cheated with the back sight, brought it from Track of the wolf, on line, great shop, 7 days it`s in my mail box.
I have not got a milling machine, it`s all done on my lathe, the slots and cutting the octagonal on the barrel. The barrel was breacht with octagonal plug 1.5m thread and the barrel cut to it in the lathe, cutter in the tool post and up @down with the hand wheel ,breach in 4jaw chuck muzzel in tailstock. Slowly getting there, some more pic`s, Cheers ,.357. :lol:
Attachments
The barrel is cut to octagonal, foresight in slot.
The barrel is cut to octagonal, foresight in slot.
Backsight and breach plug has been fitted.
Backsight and breach plug has been fitted.
Cut two v slots in the lathe for sights.
Cut two v slots in the lathe for sights.
This lump of Macrocarpa is the stock in waiting.
This lump of Macrocarpa is the stock in waiting.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

homebrew .357 wrote: The barrel was breacht with octagonal plug 1.5m thread and the barrel cut to it in the lathe, cutter in the tool post and up @down with the hand wheel ,breach in 4jaw chuck muzzel in tailstock.
If you can post a picture of your setup, many here will benefit.

Very well done.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.