Rem 700 Target/Tacticle

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Dave_C

Rem 700 Target/Tacticle

Post by Dave_C »

Morning all,

I bought a new Rem 700 Target /Tacticle with the VTR 5R barrel and mounted up a Leupold Mark 4 6.5x20x50.

Took it to the bench rest club, started breaking it in and getting zeroed. After 24 shots I then decided to go for a 300 yard target and see what it would do.

I fired four rds at a SR-1 target which is intened for 100 yard competition. I could not see the bullet holes well from 300 yards out but thought I could see one just about 2" low and .75" right of center.

My friend and I drove down to get the target and I about lost it laughing when I saw what the gun had done. I had put all four bullets in the same hole and as it turns out, this target was 300 Meters and not 300 yards so I was 2.75" low.

I had my friend sign and witness the target!

Edited 08/29 (added pic of rifle)

Dave C.
Attachments
MVC00046.JPG
MVC00044.JPG
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Harold_V

Re: Rem 700 Target/Tacticle

Post by Harold_V »

I gotta say, that's some pretty fine shooting.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Randall Va

Post by Randall Va »

Thats some mighty fine shoooooting!What cal.?
www.chaski.com
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Randal,

It is a .308 win. 26" Barrel

Dave C.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

N_I_C_E . .

If you true sighted dead on, thats quite good. Amazing group, if true.

note: The rotation of the bullet from the rifling will make all rounds climb high and right over distance, away from true parabolic trajectory, that is natural bullet drop. So the target hits, are truly noteworthy. It is also good match round proofing. Putting 4 in an inch of each other would be startling by itself.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Steamin10,

I like the "If true" part. I knew I had better have someone at the range that day sign the target because I have never seen this done at this distance nor have I owned a rifle that would shoot sub-minute groups.

The target is real.

I'm going to try to do it again but closer to the X. If I can, I will post the picture of the "signed" target. It may be a few weeks before I get back out to do it but I am going to try again.

Dave C.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Not Meant to be a steatement of disbelief. I have seen 3 arrows stuck together from a fine Bowman. What are the odds on that? No, your group is unusual, not undoable. Kudos on the fine rifle.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
mcnasty1873

Post by mcnasty1873 »

I bought one a couple of months ago and had almost the same results. Did nothing to the rifle out of the box except mount the scope. The range behind my house is 285 from bench to target. 5 shots with 3/4 gusty wind to my face and had one small ragged hole. Needless to say, I'm very happy with this rifle! :mrgreen:
nipperdog

Post by nipperdog »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Rem. 5R barrel has cut rifling as opposed to common button rifling.
jim1crg

Post by jim1crg »

Impressive shooting. What set up were you using. Bipod, rest, bags, etc.?
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Jim,

Harris bench rest bipods on the front and a winged sand bag in the rear. Shooting off a perfeclty flat concrete bench rest table at the Springfield Bench Rest Club.

NO WIND! Perfect day. I have not been able to get back to the range since. Bummer..

Dave C.
jim1crg

Post by jim1crg »

DrDavo wrote:Jim,

Harris bench rest bipods on the front and a winged sand bag in the rear. Shooting off a perfeclty flat concrete bench rest table at the Springfield Bench Rest Club.

NO WIND! Perfect day. I have not been able to get back to the range since. Bummer..

Dave C.
Dave
Shot my 6BR the other day, same set up as yours basically, Harris winged bag, Rem action, with Lilja barrel, and Leopold 8 to 24 target dot, with two five shot groups one 1.1 and 1.3. I shot third with 3 shots touching but the other two were wide in opposite directions. My time consisted of almost no wind and consistent light without clouds. I'd just be pleased to be able to shoot consistently under an inch at 300 yds. I am looking forward to hearing about your next range experience.

Regards, Jim