Bent barrel

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Bent barrel

Post by Mr Ron »

I have an old 410 shotgun with a bent barrel. The bend is about 1/16". It is not dented, just bent. It shoots ok and I keep it around just for pest control. Should I be concerned or just forget about the bend and compensate for aim when firing?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
hammermill

Re: Bent barrel

Post by hammermill »

depends on how sharp the bend is often they can be straightened by supporting between hardwood blocks and applying soft leverage.

http://www.nij.gov/training/firearms-tr ... t06_04.htm

this video may answer some questions.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Mr. Ron,

How you straighten the barrel will depend on the type of barrel it is. Does it have a ventilated rib? (you said it was old so maybe not) It can be staightened if you have the tools.

If it is a long gradual bend, place the barrel on two padded block with the high spot up. Vee shaped is OK if they are padded. Pad the high spot and using a press and block on top slowly add pressure. The barrel may need to be pressed past staight in the press as it will spring back a small amount.

I would not try to free hand straigten a bent barrel as most times you will do more damage than good as you can't control the bend force and will go too far if not carefull.

Now, if it is a sharp short bend you are going to need "fitted" blocks to keep from denting the barrel. (round shaped like the barrel OD) Then they will need to be place one on each side of the bend, high spot up, fitted block on top and go slow with the pressure so you can see if it is going to respond or not.

You didn't say if the bend was left/right or up down but I am guessing it is left/right since up/down on a shotgun is not all the big a deal on a 410.

Now, if the gun has any significant value either sentimental or antique, I would not mess with it. Either live with it as is or take it to someone who has done this work before.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck,

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Here's a video (middle of the page, it's a popup) about barrel straightening, using a purpose-built machine.
http://www.nij.gov/training/firearms-tr ... t06_04.htm

I've seen pictures of a more-primitive version, basically a couple of blocks that support the barrel on either side of the bend, and a clamp-actuated block in the middle, that presses down the "high" part of the barrel.

IIRC, they did this by eye, viewing a grid or a group of parallel lines through the bore, and tweaking the barrel to eliminate shadows and wiggles. If you're reasonably sure the bore is concentric to the OD, you likely could use a DTI.

PeteH
Pete in NJ
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

DrDavo wrote:Mr. Ron,

How you straighten the barrel will depend on the type of barrel it is. Does it have a ventilated rib? (you said it was old so maybe not) It can be staightened if you have the tools.

If it is a long gradual bend, place the barrel on two padded block with the high spot up. Vee shaped is OK if they are padded. Pad the high spot and using a press and block on top slowly add pressure. The barrel may need to be pressed past staight in the press as it will spring back a small amount.

I would not try to free hand straigten a bent barrel as most times you will do more damage than good as you can't control the bend force and will go too far if not carefull.

Now, if it is a sharp short bend you are going to need "fitted" blocks to keep from denting the barrel. (round shaped like the barrel OD) Then they will need to be place one on each side of the bend, high spot up, fitted block on top and go slow with the pressure so you can see if it is going to respond or not.

You didn't say if the bend was left/right or up down but I am guessing it is left/right since up/down on a shotgun is not all the big a deal on a 410.

Now, if the gun has any significant value either sentimental or antique, I would not mess with it. Either live with it as is or take it to someone who has done this work before.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck,

Dave C.
The bend is up and down and the barrel doesn't have a vent rib. The bend is very gradual, as if someone sat on it. It doesn't have any intrinsic value as I got it for free and use it for pest control.
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

The bend is up and down and the barrel doesn't have a vent rib. The bend is very gradual, as if someone sat on it. It doesn't have any intrinsic value as I got it for free and use it for pest control.
Got it for free and just shoot pests? .....Can you hit what youre aiming at as it is now?
Mike in Michigan

Post by Mike in Michigan »

Using blocks and a press can sometimes result in a new dent where the blocks contact the barrel. For slight bends like you describe, I use a shot bag. Place the shot (or small sand) bag on a solid flat surface. Locate and mark the "high" spot of the bend with tape. Hold the barrel at one end, raise the barrel with one hand and bring it down in a controlled arc so the high spot is at the 6 o'clock position when it slaps the shot bag. Go easy, work it slow, and check your progress after each slap. "Reset" the bag's shape often to remove the dent the barrel makes in the bag.
Mike in Michigan
paulj84003

Post by paulj84003 »

Ive used the shot bag method since the 50's. I was shown this method by the then Remington factory rep. Have straightened a number of barrels that way. We also used to install many cutts comp's and almost every barrel had to be "adjusted" to shoot straight. As stated go slow. Paul J
"a wise man learns by experience, a wiser man by the experience of others"
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Mike in Michigan wrote:Using blocks and a press can sometimes result in a new dent where the blocks contact the barrel. For slight bends like you describe, I use a shot bag. Place the shot (or small sand) bag on a solid flat surface. Locate and mark the "high" spot of the bend with tape. Hold the barrel at one end, raise the barrel with one hand and bring it down in a controlled arc so the high spot is at the 6 o'clock position when it slaps the shot bag. Go easy, work it slow, and check your progress after each slap. "Reset" the bag's shape often to remove the dent the barrel makes in the bag.
Sounds easy. Thanks