loosing my caps

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

refinery mike

loosing my caps

Post by refinery mike »

This may be a simple question but i dont know the answer. On a remington black powder revolver how do you keep the caps from falling off when you fire the first cylinder. Seams like at least one or two caps fall of every time i shoot the thing. How hard do you push them on and do you use a tool or by hand. and can you force them on so hard that they go off. seeing they get put on last, an accidental firing would not be my idea of a good time. thanks for you help
rleete

Re: loosing my caps

Post by rleete »

You'd be hard pressed to set on off by pushing it on too hard, unless you're using some sort of tool. I use my thumb. Press them on until they seat on the end of the nipple. I have had a few misfires, but have never had one go off accidently.

As to having them fall off, are you sure you're using the right size? They should fit snugly on the nipple, and not come off unless pulled off. Some pistol reproductions specify a #11, when a #10 fits much better.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

If the nipples fit #10s better, it might be easier to swap the nipples than to find #10 caps. At least around my neck of the woods (Southern NY/Northern NJ). I tend to prefer stainless nipples anyway.

PeteH
Pete in NJ
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

As long as you push them on rather than hammer them, you should be OK. I use a dowel seated in a drawer pull to push them on tight. If you can easily dislodge them with a fingernail after pushing them on, maybe you need to lightly crimp the caps with some diagonal cutters before seating them.
gaintwist32

Post by gaintwist32 »

You simply squeeze the sides of the cap with your fingers before you put them on.