Home cooked single fire shotgun

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

steamin10

Re: Home cooked single fire shotgun

Post by steamin10 »

Zipsnipe: I disagree with your foundation statement of being immune to prosecution. In ANY conflict the local law authorities will look very closely at any conflict involving a firearm. All bets are off about being immune. They can and will prosecute for whatever they feel is noteworthy. Being a Gunkey intensifies the questions. I have seen home defense cases go to trial for many odd reasons, perhaps to make the statement, that it is not OK in the community to have a conflict involving weapons, and manslaughter charges are invoked. (Escessive force). Defending costs money and time, even if you win.

I am a true beleiver in property rights and home defense. Dont make the wrong assumption about me. "Out of my cold dead hand--"
and I bid you peace.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

Zipsnipe,
Here in Florida you could easily kill an intruder with that weapon and then because you killed him you would be immune from any prosecution. So the length of barrel law has no effect.
A smooth bore weapon with a barrel of less than 18" and overall lenght of less than 26" is against Federal Law to even posess. Just because you happen to shoot someone with it does not negate that fact. :roll:
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

delete
Last edited by ZipSnipe on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Sorry Steamin, you are correct, I should have added that once authorities determined that you are within your rights to defend yourself

Good point Pacrat, I forgot that the barrel length was federal law.

In fact lets just forget I even spoke up

Seaman Staines just toss that thing and go get yourself a used gun from a pawnshop, looks dangerous!!!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Where I live, it is technically illegal to fire a nerf gun, with few exceptions.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have several paint ball markers ( they dont call them guns) and they have caused several stunning cases when used on human beings, outside of the paint ball realm. Local authority calls it 'assault with a weapon', a serious enough charge. Such a blunder can affect your gun rights. Where I live, it sometimes sounds like a war zone, with the locals tripping off rounds into stumps and the banks of the low drainage ditchs. Mostly it gets a big yawn from LEO here (County Mounties) but the interest is intensifying with each new generation, and younger officers often step over their bounds for private property.

My GF that was new at the time got stopped for speeding in a 20 posted school zone, (It was Saturday) and the 2 officers approached my Ready Ranger with Guns drawn. Nothing of interest happened, except the letter I sent to county Commisioners about their apparent conduct of implied threat. Things were interesting that year, but have toned down to zero. As I live on a major street here, a stones throw from town, County and State are a regular sight, both casual, and with lights blasting down this tiny road. There are a number of people that bear watching, and I have contributed to stopping some theft here. I live only about a mile from a troublesome appartment complex, that spawns thieves and bicycle snooping of 'stuff' that gets 'salvaged', slang here for stolen and converted. As the electronic age took over with the cells and so on, so has theft integrated into teams that lift anything of value, from lawn equipment to entire households. So far, the aging neighborhood I live in, is safe enough, and interlopers have a tough time cracking the defenses that abound with knowing neighbors.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

I believe you can make such a gun leagaly, provided that it is impossible to chamber a live round, Usually a short chamber. And if the barrel is made so that a projectile can not pass through the barrel. Usually a restricted portion in the barrel. And the end of the barrel is orange in color. I am not a lawyer but check out laws for "stage guns".
If on the other hand you are actually thinking about firing live ammo from this gun, then you should check out the "Darwin Awards" because you are begging to win one. You can proof fire a barrel a hundred times and if it is not made of the proper steel it can explode on try 101. Something called work hardening, each firing will weaken the barrel until, without warning you become hamburger.
And remember even a stage gun can be dangerous, just an empty primed shell can do some very bad things.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Gents, I am becoming VERY tired of this thread. It long ago stopped having any useful or meaningful content for either amateur machinists or amateur gunsmiths.
Pete in NJ
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

PeteH wrote:Gents, I am becoming VERY tired of this thread. It long ago stopped having any useful or meaningful content for either amateur machinists or amateur gunsmiths.
It got me too in the new posts listing... LoL
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...