Hammer Knurling

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

aconstruction

Hammer Knurling

Post by aconstruction »

What is the best way to put straight grooves or diamond knurling on the spur of a hammer?
I will be using normal home shop equipment. Lathe, mill, rotary table etc.
The attached pictures are similar to what I am looking to do.
Thanks for any suggestions.
redhawk454_008.jpg
Custom_Feedom_arms_44_special_hammer.jpg
alphawolf45

Re: Hammer Knurling

Post by alphawolf45 »

I like that your pictures show old style guns rather than the popular plastic wonders...

The example with the round hole is easy (and ugly) ,Put a mandrel in the hole and thuther end of mandrel into whatever rotary indexer you happen to have ..Cut a line ,index to next desired degree and cut your next line and then the next and the next........ the other example shown is beyond my skillset.. I usually just file in parallel grooves with a triangular file but it looks pretty damned amateurish...I could do something nicer with my cnc mill if it were a much higher priority..Presently building myself several Winchester 1873s that I want to use in Cowboy action shooting, making the hammers too as well as all the other parts..Would like to replicate the original appearance but I do not know a good way to do it...But I am trying to build good shooters and appearances are secondary considerations. :)
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Aww ..I might should add ..If you dont need a border you can use a checkering file..A bit expensive but careful work does result in something that appears to be authentic.. I should get one and use it myself..
aconstruction

Post by aconstruction »

Thanks Alphawolf ....I had never heard of a checkering file...that looks like just the ticket.
I agree that the picture of the round hammer is ugly too. I'm interested in the shape of the grooves more than the hammer itself.
Putting grooves or checkering on an oddly curved surface seems to be the challenging part.
I'm curious how the old hammers were done. Some of them look like the grooves were forged with a die.
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

aconstruction wrote:Thanks Alphawolf ....I had never heard of a checkering file...that looks like just the ticket.
I agree that the picture of the round hammer is ugly too. I'm interested in the shape of the grooves more than the hammer itself.
Putting grooves or checkering on an oddly curved surface seems to be the challenging part.
I'm curious how the old hammers were done. Some of them look like the grooves were forged with a die.
I think most of the hammers and triggers , levers and majority of other small parts are/were castings..They can go all out and make the mold using difficult and slow setups cause its only got to be done once..Then we come along and try to replicate the same appearance in our home workshop..Its quite a challenge...I give myself some allowance for my relative inexperience..If I hired Turnbull to doll up one my guns I wouldnt let him get away with things I do.. :D ...The checkering file will get you over the contour.. Id be completely sold on it except it cant work into a border............awwww heck, Ill make a checkering file before I do these couple hammers I'll be making in a few weeks...
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

the line of products for checkering are pricey for sure but it looks like a checkering file in the proper pitch is albut a must.

using guidepins and triangular files with safe edges should get u in the ballpark. practice on some hard wood before hitting the metal may not be a bad idea.
charlesb

Post by charlesb »

I bought a checkering file, and yes they are pricey. I had to part with forty dollar bill, to get mine.

Paying for it though, is just half of the merry-go-round.

You have to work slowly, deliberately and carefully, cleaning the file after every pass and never dragging it backwards. ( breaks off delicate cutting edges )

Even though you are about to rough it up with checkering, you'll be way ahead if you start off by polishing the piece to be worked on, before anything else is done.

Everything has to be planned, set up with guides etc.. - This is not an 'eyeball' job, or something to knock off in a hurry.

With all of that taken into account, a checkering file really does do an amazing job. With careful practice, you'll soon look like you know what you are doing.

Best to start off with some scraps of steel.

You can grind off the little 'ear' on a Mauser bolt release, if you checker the front face of the bolt release so that you can still get a grip on it, when needed. - That's why I bought my checkering file.

I'm also thinking of checkering the rear face of the bolt on my Ruger Mark III Hunter.

As in wood checkering, the larger sizes are easier to work with. My file was made by Grobit, in Switzerland. It is 6" long, and 20 lpi.

When you get the file, it comes in a protective plastic sleeve or condom. It's best to keep it in the sleeve at all times that you are not actively working with it.

You get two sides with checkering teeth, and the edges are all safe.

My problem is that by the time I practice enough to get good at it, I'll almost certainly be needing a new file. I marked one side of my file with Dykem layout blue, near the tang so that I can always use one side for practice, and have a fresh side waiting for my first few projects.

It's not a bad skill to pick up. The work requires concentration and precision - but it all happens at a leisurely pace and good work will be well paid, as it is not a common skill.

Brownell's has fixtures and guides for metal checkering that can make it all go much easier, faster with less set-up time and most importantly - better. If you are thinking about trying to make a buck at it, that is definitely the way to go.
Kind Regards, Charles Brabham

http://ballisticprecision.com