My First Post here ,A Simple Question for the Enlightened

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: My First Post here ,A Simple Question for the Enlightene

Post by Harold_V »

Jackotrades05 wrote:Just which do You recommend ?
My background revolves around machining in industry, so I'm not a good source of advice where selecting a home shop lathe is concerned. That's not to say I can't give you some guidance, but I tend to see things differently than the guy that has never worked in the trade.

I'm also not one of the guys that thinks old American iron is always better. It may or may not be, and you can end up with a piece of junk that isn't capable of doing anything you hope to accomplish. Many have had that very experience and regretted making the decision to buy American.

That being said, I strongly endorse American made equipment, and would make such a machine my first choice, all conditions being equal. Unfortunately, industry in the US took a serious turn a long time ago, and has, for the most part, entirely abandoning the making of home shop equipment. That leaves you with making some tough choices.

Rather than advise you on such a matter, I truly believe that you'd be far better served to continue reading the forum (and others, assuming you feel you might benefit), until you get a clear picture of what will serve your needs. I also advise you to avoid the recommendations of those who can't separate their biases from reality. To them, a clapped out American machine is far better than a Chinese import. I don't agree, and many others don't agree, either. What really matters is what will serve your needs best. Just know that when you make a decision, you'll have a whole board of readers to aid you in determining if you're going in the right direction.

To aid you in making the right decisions, there are some very desirable features that make a lathe more user friendly and functional. I will list a few things that are quite positive.

A cam lock (D type) spindle is very good.
A lathe equipped with a quick change gear box (threading and turning) is almost mandatory. Having to change gears limits your ability too much.
A three phase motor is quite desirable, although that demands a phase converter, or three phase power. Instant reverse is a very useful feature, not commonly found with single phase lathes.
A lathe that is too small for your needs will wear out its welcome quickly. Buy a lathe large enough to deal with things you hope to do, but don't buy one that is a great deal larger. Large machines tend to have poor speed selections for small work, and holding small items can become difficult because large machines have large chucks that have limited gripping capability.
A 12" lathe is a very nice compromise. A minimum of 20" between centers is recommended, with more (30" or 32") quit desirable. You don't use the length often, but it's nice to have when it is needed. Think of drilling a hole in a long piece of material. You must have room for the drill and chuck, plus the material.
Hole through the spindle--the larger the better. A 12" machine often will accommodate at least 1½", and is a reasonable choice.
The ability to single point metric threads is a nice feature. Not all lathes are capable, in particular, early American iron.

There's more, so if you find something that holds your interest, maybe we can kick it around on the forum. Could be a reader has the same machine and can lend a reliable opinion.

Luck!

Harold

PS---You are a lucky man! A supportive wife. I, too, am so blessed.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

For the most part, I agree with Harold. If you want instant gratification, a midsized Grizzly or similar machine will fill the bill for 'the home guy'. If you dont have a fist full of dollars, like me, Geriatric machines that have been passed Grandfather to Son-in-law, pop out in the Market all the time. Most of these basement queens have been lightly used, and are hallmarks of an age past. They are perhaps a bit lighter in capability, with less bells and tweets, but many are near pristeen, hidden among all the other junk on the market. Carefull shopping can still yield a prime homeshop machine.

Still, tooling will be a larger expense than the machine, buying a bit at a time will add to a great amount of cash if you engage in the hobby and its width. In the used field, you have to make snap judgements and buy the odd item when you find it. Myself, I have had zero problem reselling an uneeded or off sized find, and often it leads to odd information about something else. I have three such basement queens, that are definate hobby grade. (School machines, and early industry.) They suffice for what machining and repair work I do, and that is the key. If you dont know what you will be doing, it is hard to make a good choice in size and HP of the machine. Thats OK, you can always buy and sell on the Market.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Jimmy,

Harold and Big Dave have pretty much covered it. My first lathe was a 10 X 24 Rockwell that was fine for about 3 months of learning some of the basic fundamentals but it's size and lack of rigidity soon became a problem. Soon after I bought a 14 X 40 Grizzly cast iron base and it suits me just fine.

Jack.
Jackotrades05

Post by Jackotrades05 »

My Wife said I look at that Griz Catalog like the kid Ralphie in that Movie "Christmas Story"( Red Ryder carbine B.B. rifle) , and I guess in a way I do , but Aren't we All still Boys deep down inside with our Ideas , and Ideals of the perfect World ,I gotta stop myself sometimes , and remember myself back into reality when the Idea in my noggin takes root , She say's that when I'm around them I act more like them than myself( A O-5 Retired Grandpop Mustanger ) , and it's probably true ,but if those 3 Heirs to the Throne O' Schmoe are to benefit from my learning , it better come from someone in both world's , as a student myself , and as a teacher for them , as their Father has Passed to his Rewards with the Almighty of us all , He went in Combat in 2006 , so I have worn many hat's so far , but it's a pleasure to me as I am sure it is with you guys to see your efforts pan out in someone who will pass on a fine Art such as Engineering,Machining, and design like you guys have learned , and to do the same for others deemed worthy of your years of hard knocks knowledge, too much ramblings , on to the subject at hand .

Harold I am not buying anything until a lot of the ponderin has been done , and Dave I am in about the same Boat You , and 95% of people are in Today, so I'm not gettin rich on the peanuts the Zoo's owners throw , but Frugal I am ,so I will take your advice also ,see It's already beginning , This will continue after Sunday services , Thanks again , nothing will be ignored ,Man , or Machine !

May God Bless you All, Later on ,Jimmy the Kid.

SEMPER FI ,AND GOOD NIGHT "Chesty" WHEREVER YOU ARE !!
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

Jimmy,

Welcome! There are plenty of skilled machinists here, plus talents in a thousand other directions. The best of it is that almost everyone here likes to share!

If you update your location to something more sensible than the "In The Skies above you" that you currently have set, you might discover that someone here is in your neighborhood. Hey, you never know!

Peace! John.

EDIT: Made my post less confusing.
Last edited by oldvan on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackotrades05

Post by Jackotrades05 »

Sorry to hear of Your AFflictioN oldvan.HoPe you are TaKing sometHing for it.
GeT Well SooN ,,
TSEC/KG-84A
Peace.call me ,we can look at the shop.
Jackotrades05

Post by Jackotrades05 »

Thanks, I forgot to sign out properly John,

Location "0" deg. Latitude , Dude, Distance from EARTH 22,374.5 Miles , Position "Unknown"
Closest City Equal points ref. Quito, S.America ,Earth ,Nearest Star : SOL ,Distance From SOL Proximus 93,140,248 Miles on Equinox Vernal Term.

STAY CHIPPER, Jimmy

p.s. U. of Cal.,Berkeley,Ca. Mini-Plasma Gun Design Protocol :Weapons Research ,Welcome to The :D Neighborhood !