My Uncle Vinny , RIP

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Jackotrades05

My Uncle Vinny , RIP

Post by Jackotrades05 »

Hello All, Been awhile , but better late , and all that cliche.

I recently Inherited some things ,and some dough from my late uncle, he was like a father , doctor, mentor in those times you can't talk even to your parish priest, but he lived ,really did , till 101 , and went like a whisper in the night .
He will be missed Greatly!

In his stuff he left me was a recommendation that I buy a rifle that I would prize a lot for the rest of my years, and it went into a lot of different detail about the rifle I should buy NEW !
The rifle is a "Barrett REC 7 in 6.8mm SPC ,and thinking I knew a lot about all forms of 20th , and 21st century weaponry from my experiences in the Corps , but I have been asking around to most of my friends that are shooters, and they heard of the cal. , but not the weapon in particular, But "Bushmaster" came up along with a couple of others.

The question I ask is anyone familiar with the "Barrett" , and does it really out class all the others as far as the cost implies(Twice that of a Bushmaster), or is it just a name ,because my friend at DOD tells me that theirs is the new sniper rifle of the Marine Corps, and the Army in 50 cal. , and 308 cal. too ?

I will answer any questions I have not asked if anyone of you Tackdrivers have one.

All the Best, Jimmy The Kid

p.s. What does SPC mean in ref. to cal. ?

here is a pix of one.
One can only dream , so a good one for the night table.
spro

Re: My Uncle Vinny , RIP

Post by spro »

Bait usually has a smell to it.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Jacko..

While Barrett makes some great rifles I do not own one and most likely never will as there are equal rifles in my opinion for far less money.

This is like asking a Ford owner what truck he likes... Or a Dodge owner, or a Chevy owner. Most will tell you the best truck is the one they own, otherwise, why would we buy it?

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

SPC stands for special purpose cartridge; it was originally developed by/for Special Forces/Seals type use to be a more effective round than the standard .223/5.56mm.
Jackotrades05

Post by Jackotrades05 »

Hey,DrDavo,I own a Bushmaster AR-15 in 223 Cal., and it has , and is a great shooter so The reason I asked was because Uncle Vinnie never said "Nuttin for no Reason" to say it his way, but I agree , those prices at Barrett are salty to say the least, to say the most I think they are for people who just have their whimsies like the Ford guys ,or like me a Corvette guy, You go around once I think ,but what if that's wrong ? sure like somethin in my pocket for the Next Ride !

Still have time left , Thanks, Jimmy D' :lol:
One can only dream , so a good one for the night table.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

maybe a short read here will help i have handled the barret 50 but was not even aware the mentioned rifle existed
so here is a short ifo look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_REC7
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Jimmy,

Just thinking on your post a bit. It is a wise man that ask for advice! However, trying to say what is the best gun a person might buy quality wise or accuracy wise leaves a lot of questions.

I think it depends on what you intend to do with the gun. Target shoot? Hunt? Personal defense? Collector? All of these groups have large followings and none are any more important than the others unless yoou just hunt, or just collect or just target shoot. See my point?

Personally I like long range highly accurate guns with quality optics mounted properly. I've been a competitive shooter in the past but due to health reasons I only visit the shoot club a few times a year. So my best gun is a Rem Target Tactical 700! It will one hole four shots at 300 yards. I've only done that once but I will try again this fall to repeat it. The gun is not really broken in yet as it only has 38 rds through it.

So I would say, if you like the Barrett and can afford it, buy it. I would not buy it just because it is a Barrett or it is a high priced gun but only if it suited my need or purpose.

I doubt you will be unhappy with anything you buy from Barrett!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
gpete

Post by gpete »

There is something to be said for buying the best and only crying once. Barret has a name recognition like Colt it will always have more value down through the years.
WJH

Post by WJH »

As far as I am concerned, Bushmaster makes the best Ar15 for the money. You already own it. Sure Colt may have a better resale value, and they have a cult following like Harley Davidson, none the less, both do the same job equally as well and one costs a lot less.
Ever own a lemon Ar15, a generic one? I used to have a Model1Sales ar15 that was a damn boat anchor. Could never reliably shoot without jamming. The Bushmaster I had shot 2000 rounds without ever cleaning it and was jam free.
For sure, different companies put out different quality guns, and on an AR15, you best pay for quality!
I wouldn't sell your BM for a different Ar15 unless your having problems with it. If you were having problems with it, BM would fix them!