Cannon Barrel

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

clive

Re: Cannon Barrel

Post by clive »

hammermill wrote:if it machines really close then i see no problem with lock tite. i brought accur glas only because it has been the traditional compund for barrel liners after sweating (soldering).
in todays world the right locktite may be a good choice.
I had thought about silver soldering, it would be my choice but the guy who I was talking to said the bore of the sleeve is mirror like and the accuracy is really good so I am basically following his lead. He is also a retired machinist - he is a surviving WW2 vet - (on the other side) but he has all his wits about him, just not as mobile as he once was.
unioncreek

Post by unioncreek »

I may have missed what size bore your going to make it, but check with the ATF. I was told anything over 1/2" is considered a destructive device and was illegal. I know guys that build them to shoot golf balls and they thought they were legal. It's was from a local agent and I haven't had time to check if he was feeding me a line or not.

Bobg
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Generally speaking, muzzle loading cannon are legal if basically a pre-1898 design. Even pre-1898 breech loaders are legal if the ammo is not readily available.

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice. :-)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

This is a letter posted on another forum. (I would put the link but lost it) on the subject of building a eight inch bowling ball cannone or mortor.

I will try to down size to load and hopefully you can read it.

Bottom line Cannons being built as replicas using black powder and fuses would appear to be legal.
Attachments
orig.jpg
o`rig.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

For those who have an interest, the two docutments, above, have been resized and are now legible. Click each one for a larger view.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

The ATF letter was originally posted on the GBO Black Powder Mortars and Cannon forum.

However, it is not recommended that one extrapolate much from any given ATF letter. If you want to do something that is a little different (meaning not a 100% copy of the piece described in this letter), then you should get a letter that specifically addresses what you want to do.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

pay close atention to the atf deffenition of a firearm. this will make thing easier in the letters to understand.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The ATF letter was originally posted on the GBO Black Powder Mortars and Cannon forum.

However, it is not recommended that one extrapolate much from any given ATF letter. If you want to do something that is a little different (meaning not a 100% copy of the piece described in this letter), then you should get a letter that specifically addresses what you want to do
Well Said,

And just like dealing with the IRS, any phone conversations should be loged with names and dates.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)