Barrel browning

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

homebrew .357

Barrel browning

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi All, now that I`v made my barrel I need to brown it. Now I know there are dozens of recipes for this but what I`m stuck with is Birchwood Casey`s Plum Brown. Now I know the barrel has to be fine sanded and perfectly clean. So any Info on how to do this useing the plum brown on a moden steel barrel, (will practice on some scrap first) will be a big help, specialy from someone who has used it before with all the tips and tricks, Thanks guys,.357 :?
hammermill

Re: Barrel browning

Post by hammermill »

clen clean clean http://www.vintageshotgun.com/index.php ... -browning/

here is the msds good ventelation,proper skin protecting and heat the barrel to around 200 degrees,

remenber to plug the ends

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/files/M ... h_2010.pdf

i find it interesting that the old barrels were sealed with a bee,s wax solution after rust browning
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Hammermill, thanks for your reply, and yes I did look at that browning site too with the old guns and a diffrent aproach with the solutions he used. I was just wondering if the the copper suphate bath would be of any help with my spec steel barrel, it certinly workt on those old damacus barrels . As my trade was an Eletroplator I know what you mean by ,"CLEAN", I have rubed the barrel down with 400grit W/D paper and a lead bullit is blocking up the bore at the muzzel, the breach is in the barrel so will put a bolt in where nipple is and it has been greased in side .So a wash with acatone , gloves on, It just fits in my oven so looking at 95C/200f and yes I will do it outside with the safty gear and as per the directions on the bottle , thanks,.357 :)
Rex

Post by Rex »

Pretty straighforward. Polished and clean, heat, then swab it on with a cotton ball.
Rinse, repeat. Follow directions. After 5 or 6 coats it evens out nicely.

The last one I did was a traditional rust brown, real rust, looked like fine pitted wrought iron.
It made for a perfect finish for a reproduction caplock.