Mauser actions

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

heisler0

Mauser actions

Post by heisler0 »

Just a general question but there was a lot of military action used by commercial company's after the war. How where the crests and stamps removed from the action? Where they ground off if so did this affect heat treating?
GeorgeGaskill

Re: Mauser actions

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Some were ground off, some were not, some never had crests. The critical heat treating on a Mauser action is inside and usually that was left unaffected. However, keep in mind the cartridges they were designed for when reusing them. You are operating in the safety factor when they are used for more powerful cartridges.
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Thanks George! I did one in 450 marlin last year but left the markings on it and it turn out ok but would like to try to clean up the next one. I am looking at an argentine 1909 now would like to use for a 308 norma and would like to spend a little more time on the finish.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Raises an interesting question -- Long ago, I had a late-war Mauser action rebarrelled to 9.3 x 62. The gunsmith did a hardness test, but on the OUTSIDE of the receiver ring -- said "OK, it's not too hard; it may shoot loose in time but it won't blow up".

I've fired it about 20 times, and at this point I don't think I'll fire it any more.

So is hardness testing on the outside no use ?

Thanks...
Pete in NJ
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i was always of the opinion that mauser actions were as a general rule case hardened with a softer core.

given the many countrys and factories involved in mauser and like actions you should trust but verify.

this book is a indepth info source on this action

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/661999 ... kuhnhausen
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Well the 1909 argentine turned out to be a spainish 93 to short for the 308 norma the hunt continues!!
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

consider looking for a 48 mauser,barrel thread is a little bit differient and boyd had inletted stocks last i looked.

every one i have delt with has been in good shape
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Is there a preference between A or B?
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Is there a preference between A or B?

I am unsure what this question concerns. However, when refitting a military Mauser to any magnum cartridge, you should use only Model 98 types. The earlier designs are for even less powerful cartridges than the 7.92X57 and would likely be dangerous for a magnum. Their shank diameters are smaller than the M98 and use of a large diameter cartridge would be a bad idea to me.

The later Swedish Mausers (M38's) were rebarreled for 7.62 NATO by the Swedes, as well as used for higher pressure loadings of the 6.5X55, so I would consider that conversion safe even though the actions are pre-M98 designs.
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

I was reading that the M48's there was three versions well versions might not be the right word maybe series. there was the plain m48 than the m48a and finally the m48b. I was wondering if there was any real difference in them to be aware of? I have found an action I am waiting for now from gb had to pay a little more than I wanted but would like to get started on this one. I would like to know about the M48 though maybe the next one!!
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

heisler0 wrote:I was reading that the M48's there was three versions well versions might not be the right word maybe series. there was the plain m48 than the m48a and finally the m48b. I was wondering if there was any real difference in them to be aware of? I have found an action I am waiting for now from gb had to pay a little more than I wanted but would like to get started on this one. I would like to know about the M48 though maybe the next one!!
Variants
There are three main versions of the M48.

M48: 1950-1952- The initial version of the M48, with full crest and all machined steel parts.

M48A: 1952-1956- Inclusion of stamped parts. the M48A used sheet metal stampings for the magazine floor plate. These changes sped production while lowering cost. The critical bolt and receiver which contain the pressure of the burning propellant within the cartridge case retained the same material requirements and design tolerances (i.e. were machined from forged steel) in the A and B variations.M48B: 1956-1965- Additional sheet metal stampings incorporated. The most critical factor to understand about this model is that it continued to be stamped on the receiver ring M48A. There was no change in markings. The specific changes in parts is unverified but include stamped barrel and H-bands and the magazine spring follower. The most significant change and external appearance whereby the M48B may be identified is the trigger guard. Whereas previously, the trigger guard/mag well were machined from a solid billet of steel, it was changed to an assembly fabricated from stamped parts. The new trigger guard has a rib running around the exterior of both sides. While the exact number of changes made to this model have not been specified, the impact on production in 1956 were extensive and drastically reduced the number produced that year. There was a specific reason for this. From 1956 on, all M48 production was intended solely for export.

M48BO:1956-1965*- The "bo" stands for "bez oznake" and translates roughly as "unmarked" or "without markings." These were identical to and manufactured concurrent with the crested M48B but were not stamped with any national or manufacturer's markings.

Basically the A & B variants were fitted with cheaper hardware, and external polishing wasn't as nicely done. But as far as a buildable reciever they are same same. Bolts and firing pins are scarce but most other parts are readily available.
TRX

Post by TRX »

Kuhnhausen said that he sent samples out for metallurgical analysis, and most old Mauser actions were 1025 or 1030 steel, shallow case hardened.

That's one step up from chicken-wire grade steel, and a long, long way below 4140.