6.5-284 winchester? norma? lapua?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

heisler0

6.5-284 winchester? norma? lapua?

Post by heisler0 »

I have been looking at the cartridge and I am a little confused :?: are the winchester and norma same or not? and I belive the lapua is different?
GeorgeGaskill

Re: 6.5-284 winchester? norma? lapua?

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Isn't the Winchester reformed .284 Win?
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i think there is .004 in neck legenth in the win, lapuna brass is prefered in you are going to push the pressures.
note they both use the same headspace guage.
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Here is what raised my curisoity after reading online that they are the same, I went to 4d rentals and seen a seperate reamer for each one is it that the changes are so small that it doesnt matter. I read a comment somewhere online that they use the same headspace gauge? Just wondering you know how your just looking around and something raise's a question and than you get stuck on it.
SWIAZ

Post by SWIAZ »

Lapua brass is larger at the base. Winchester brass is/was around .495" on the base where the Lapua, Norma are/were around .500". If you chamber a barrel with a reamer designed for Winchester brass and use Lapua you will find extraction to be sticky. The bolt will lift slightly and when the extraction cam is engaged the bolt lift will suddenly be hard to lift until the case pops loose. It's commonly described as bolt click. You can use the Lapua reamer and still use Winchester brass but not recommended to do the opposite.
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

Thank You. I think I have decided to go with the Norma reamer
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

After your chamber is done , I'd recommend a kerosafe casting so you can measure exactly what you have . Then you'll know the dimensions your brass will require .