Scale Model Cannon Manufacturers

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Patrick.B

Scale Model Cannon Manufacturers

Post by Patrick.B »

Hello,

As I have been a member here for a little while, participating in the Live Steam & Riding Scale Railroading sections, I figured I would post this question here.

I have been looking into possibly purchasing a 1/5 scale working Napoleon III cannon. I am really not well versed in this topic, and would not really know what to watch out for.

Obviously the ideal thing, and I am sure one thing many will suggest would be to build it myself. Unfortunately I have no machining knowledge, and do not have the equipment to begin to learn how to.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any manufactures or suppliers for these types of cannons?

Thanks,

Patrick
Northeastern Ohio Live Steamers
3.5", 4.75", & 7.5" gauge club
Medina, Ohio
www.neols.net
hammermill

Re: Scale Model Cannon Manufacturers

Post by hammermill »

look up springfield arsenal and national muzzleloading cannon association for a ton of related info.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

google or Dogpile - Cannon Kits, and be prepared to clutch your wallet. There are some makers out there, but the cost is heavy for even a 1/4 scale barrrel. A fully built Colonial, or Civil War era field piece will set you back plenty.

Idunno why without equipment you would want to chase such a project. Around here they are sensative to such projects in trade school shops, so as to be prohibited. Firing one on your birthday, or July 4rth can be a problem, when the men in Blue show up, trying to make asassins and criminals out of everyone. Ask me how I know.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Make a visit to the Graybeard Outdoors Black Powder Mortars and Cannon forum. There are a number of people who can make what you are asking about. As mentioned above, a good piece is not cheap.
Patrick.B

Post by Patrick.B »

Thanks for all the information guys.

I found a company called Dixie Gun Works that sells a 1/5 scale cannon at a reasonable price (I think).

My reasoning for getting into this, and my insistence on 1/5 scale is two fold. I have always loved black powder weapons, and especially cannons. So I figured a cannon would be a really cool first muzzle loading black powder weapon. And, since I am into 2.5" scale ride-on trains, we have a narrow gauge flatcar that would be awesome to carry around the cannon.
Northeastern Ohio Live Steamers
3.5", 4.75", & 7.5" gauge club
Medina, Ohio
www.neols.net
SBITNER

Post by SBITNER »

Patrick, if you are interested in something like this, P.M. me. I have a friend that machined a couple of these.
Attachments
cannon.JPG
"Building a steam locomotive is just like eating an elephant, one bite at a time!!"
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

If you are serious about ordnance go to South Bend Replicas, Inc located in South Bend Indiana. You can find them on the web at

http://www.southbendreplicas.com/

The do everything from qtr scale to a seven inch rifle piece they cast for the Mississippi River Museum

They have a history of 1/4 to full size replicas and have rebuilt many of the guns at various state and federal parks

Very nice people to work with. this is my old catalog
catalogcover_2006.jpg
catalogcover_2006.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 9041 times
The catalog is well worth getting just for the reading on history.

This is their Continental full kit. Barrel length, 14" Bore, 5/8" Wheel diameter, 9-1/2" Overall length, 26" Weight, 45 lbs.
hp2.jpg
hp2.jpg (25.35 KiB) Viewed 9041 times
I believe this is the smallest cannon kit they have.

They mostly deal in barrels but do carrages also.

I see they have a half scale 12 pd Napoleon that is Iron, 37 inches long, 1 1/2 inch bore weighs 175

A full scale Napoleon 1857 is 72 inches long, bore is 3 inches and weighs 1250

Sorry I can't give you prices but they are easy to talk to on the line
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
scottruss

Post by scottruss »

wow i want that cannon that's nice..i wonder how much price for that cannon..do you have idea how much is the price Pipescs?
An pocket knives is a good weapon, but it can point both ways
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I have not called in years but I believe it is in the two to three hundred for the kit
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)