Newly acquired Ruger SR1911, Long Post

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

JackF

Re: Newly acquired Ruger SR1911, Long Post

Post by JackF »

This is a follow up.

Got the pistol back late last week with a note telling what they did. Replaced the extractor, sear, sear pin, hammer and disconnecter, no mention of any chamber work. Because of reply from Pete H I wondered if no work was done to the chamber or they just didn't want to mention it. I don't have any factory ammo left to do a plunk test so I reloaded some 200gr JHP to the specs in the latest Speer reloader book, tocl 1.20. Did the plunk test and sure enough, the cartridge didn't plunk and stopped above the barrel hood. As it happened, this weekend Ruger was having a sales demo at a local gun store and range so I took the Ruger with me. The demos' purpose was to have people shoot the demo Rugers and then buy but when I explained that I brought my own to test it they let me shoot it. I loaded my clip with their supplied 230gr JRN, jacked the first round in the gun, it chambered fine, fired the first round, squeezed the trigger for the second shot and nothing happened. Looked at the slide and sure enough the slide was not in full battery. Showed this to the Ruger guy and explained that this was the problem I was having before I sent it back the first time. The Ruger guy looked puzzled then pushed the slide to full battery and fired the round. He then squeezed the trigger for the second shot and nothing happened,he looks at the slide and again it is not in full battery. He then tells me to send it back again and gives me the name of the head of C/S and tells me to explain to him this is the second time the gun is coming back for the same problem.

I am waiting for the return call :( , will keep all up to date.

Jack
JackF

Post by JackF »

Another update,

Never got a return call but did get an Email. The head of C/S assured me he would flag the gun and follow it through the tech department. Sent the gun back again with a letter describing again how the slide won't return to full battery after the 1st shot and what the gunsmith thinks the problem is. Not a word from Ruger while they have the gun, the gun is returned to me on the 29th of May with a letter that they changed the ejector, no mention of any barrel work. I disassembled the gun and tried another plunk test with one of the Ruger demo supplied Federal factory loads, no "plunk" and the cart. stops short of flush with the barrel hood. I get on the phone to Ruger C/S to get some answers as to why the barrel was not fixed. The tech who answered didn't work on the gun and couldn't get me in touch with the tech who did. I asked to speak the the tech manager and was told I was already speaking with him. I had reached a dead end. My next call was the the head of C/S, got his voice mail. Left a message to call. Two days later no call. Needless to say my temperature was up. :evil: My next step was to call Ruger headquarters and the office of the CEO Mr. Fifer, left a message as to who I was and that I had a complaint. 2 hours latter I got a return call from Amy, :) Mr. Fifers' office head, I explain to her my problem with the gun and the lack of the tech department to fix it. She tells me she will get right on the phone to Prescott and talk to Joe Cramer, the head of the tech. department, Joe is not the person who told me he was the head of tech., and have him give me a call. Within 2 hours Joe gave me a call :D and I explain to him all that has happened. He tells me it sounds like the throat is not to spec and to send the gun back attn. to him and he will take care of it. Today I got a call from Joe and he tells me the gun had no throat at all and he said they placed a new barrel and barrel bushing in the gun, he then fired rounds from Black hills, Federal, and others and it fired fine. He is shipping the gun back tomorrow over night and I should have it by Thurs. I have a good feeling about it this time, thanks to Amy and Joe. It's amazing what a little call from the CEOs' office can do. :shock: :wink: :lol: Will have another update after the gun arrives.

Jack.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Good to hear Ruger is doing right by you! Too bad it took as much frustration as it did.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

It's interesting to see that even in this poor economy there are still people who think they can continue to get paid while not doing there jobs correctly.
JackF

Post by JackF »

George,
While I was talking to Joe Cramer yesterday I asked him if there were going to be any memo's going out to the people in the tech and C/S depts. He told me he and the head of C/S are going to hold a meeting to discuss what happened in this case. I still can't believe this happened after all raves I have read about this SR 1911 and about Rugers' C/S in general. I am supposed to get the gun back tomorrow afternoon, we will see, but as I said earlier I have a good feeling about it being fixed this time. :wink: :D :D

Jack.

P.S. If all is well this time I will do another trigger job on this gun (sear, hammer, and sear spring) to replace the one they removed to bring the gun back to factory spec.. Other than the time to make the Jig for the sear it only took about 45 min to do the job. :D :D
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thurs. June 6, 9:30 AM.

Latest update. The UPS man made a special delivery this morn. With great anticipation I disassembled the gun to remove the barrel, performed the plunk test and................hurrah, success. I now have a full functioning gun. :D :D :D Thanks Amy and Joe.

Jack.
ronm

Post by ronm »

Too bad it took so many tries, but rattling the boss's cage does usually tend to get results... :?
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

ronm wrote:Too bad it took so many tries, but rattling the boss's cage does usually tend to get results... :?
Amen to that
JackF

Post by JackF »

After I determined the gun was finally fixed I went to the Ruger web site where you can leave an Email to whom ever. I sent an Email to the CEOs' (Mr Fifer) office expressing my appreciation for the help Amy and Joe gave in the resolution of my problem. I also said that my faith in Rugers' C/S has been restored.

I forgot to tell you guys that Ruger also sent me two more clips to go with the two the gun came with. :D :D All is good.

Jack.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Two extra clips is a nice way to make up for some of the hassle!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hello all,

Finally got to the range today, took longer than planed, my SIL took his 100 year anniversary Colt 1911 and I my much traveled SR 1911. The SR 1911 fired 50+ rounds of 230 gr. FMJ with not one FTF. :D :D :D The SILs' colt with as many shots had one fail to chamber fully, while I was shooting, ejected that round and no more failures. Needless to sayI am a happy shooter. 8) :wink: :D :D Props again to Ammy and Joe Cramer at Ruger to taking charge. I will now start reloading some 230 gr. cast lead to cut down the cost of target shooting.

Jack
JackF

Post by JackF »

Follow up. Have fired more than 200 rounds, factory and reloads, FMJ, JHP and cast SWC, all without a single hiccup. :D :D :D Now I feel it is safe to redo the trigger job. :wink: :lol:

Jack.