delrin for bushings in barrel vise

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

oscer

delrin for bushings in barrel vise

Post by oscer »

Hi fellas,I'm tooling up for my first rifle build and I'm in the process of boring the jaws for the barrel vise. The suggested dia. for the jaws is 1.5" taken from J. Hinnant's book on precision rifle barrel fitting. I was considering delrin for the barrel bushings because it's cheap. Has anyone used it? Can anyone think of any reason not to use it? Thanks for any comments. oscer.
"...that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights,that among these are life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Thomas Jefferson
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." Ben Franklin
hammermill

Re: delrin for bushings in barrel vise

Post by hammermill »

i would be concerned with it being too slick, rosen may prove to be a must. i prefer a piece of oak
oscer

Post by oscer »

Oak is even cheaper :P I read somewhere, probably in the above mentioned book, that you should use a piece of cardboard between the barrel and the bushing, and that powdered sugar could be used in place of rosin. Hoooowwww sweet it is! :oops: I'm givin' away my age a little there.
"...that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights,that among these are life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Thomas Jefferson
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." Ben Franklin
OLDBEAR

Post by OLDBEAR »

I'm gonna say delrin will not hold. That is just my WAG I have no knowledge or data to back it up. I would like to know if it works though. I've only used metal jaws. Bill.
www.chaski.com
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Might work if you wrap the barrel in a sheet of paper.
HotGuns

Post by HotGuns »

I've used Delrin and yes it is too slick.

It will work with Rosin. If you don't have any, forget it.
Bob
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Rosin's easy. Fiddle-bow rosin from the music store. $3 should get you a block about 1"x2"x1/2", enough to last a LONG time. Dissolves easily in alcohol or acetone, so it's easy to apply and to clean off.

Also... Somewhere down in the dank and mouldy recesses of my memory, I seem to recall they used to use the stuff on bowling alleys. (ARE there such things as bowling alleys any more ?)
Pete in NJ
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Yes, there still are bowling alleys but I have never noticed anyone using rosin.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The Alleys are oiled, the rosen is used ( was used ) in the finger holes for ball control.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hmmm... I thought that was chalk.
Pete in NJ
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Chalk is cheeper. And it wipes off with the alley oil.

Dad used rosin in his bowling, but it did not wipe off the ball as well, causing lane grip problems. We are talking back in the 60's.

With the custom Eurothane materials and the moving weights and slick stuff they do now, there is a much more ritualized motion to throw the balls, than before.

I never took up the sport, having to work so many hours in my career.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
TRX

Post by TRX »

I use 6061 aluminum, with soft copper shim stock as needed when barrel profiles vary a bit. Even cranking down on the vise until the stamped marks in the barrel print themselves into the aluminum, Mosin or P-14 barrels may still turn in the vise.

I bolt the vise to the mill table and use a three-foot wrench; I can put around a thousand foot-pounds on the wrench with both feet off the floor. Even then, I have to bounce a bit to pop some receivers loose. I look at some of those vises bolted to flimsy benches and the little short-handled wrenches and look in wonder?