cannon

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

steamin10

Re: cannon

Post by steamin10 »

On the subject of barrel material, brass barrels were used in an as cast condition. In the old technical texts there is a passing note that the barrels become stronger from working as fired, and a well seasoned bronze barrel can be exposed to double shot and heaviest loads without tearing. It is stated that cast iron barrels are more prone to failure as they are stressed with aging, referring to the tendancy of cast iron to develop cracks when worked. This proved itself as older Napolean and Ordinace rifles were rebored to fit newer amunitions that required rifled barrels, and many failures were noted and blamed on this thinning, but more probable that muzzle pressures went up as the new amuntion had sealing rings that expanded to take away the windage of the barrels, and engage the rifling.

As far as materials around the Civil War period, the South was iron poor, and poorly equiped to fight the industrial North. While iron was cheep in the North, bronze guns cost asmuch as 4x what an iron tube would be. In the South where Church bells were stripped for guns, including revolver frames, it was not about cost but ease of manufacture, to support the effort.

In these modern times, a barrel of stainless steel, (which can corrode and 'rust' by the by), is a natural choice even given the cost for a suitable raw bar. Ya, tough to machine, but a much better and easy to maintain finished product, compared to common carbon steels. Much less risky than any carbon cast barrel, as steels tear and not shatter under normal loadings. Certainly not under black powder.

Plese note: I encourage no-one to step into the cannon building realm without carefull considerations. Like live steam and Rocketry, racing, and motorcycles, there be dragons here, and the kowledge must be persued, or things can go wrong very quickly on some unseen front. It is only my opinion, I claim no super expertise, but offer what information can be had.

I bid you peace.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

One of our local towns has four brass/bronze cannons at its Civil War memorial. Big honkers, at least 4 feet long. They've all got markings stamped into the muzzle end, presumably where they were cast, when, and the weight. Here's a couple of photos, reduced to fit.
Attachments
Cannon sideview bestweb.jpg
Cannon sideview bestweb.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 8899 times
Cannon muzzle bestweb.jpg
Cannon muzzle bestweb.jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 8899 times
Pete in NJ
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Paint. :mrgreen:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

If you mean on those four cannons, I don't think so. There's a definite "metallic" look to them, with polishing marks, and I've never seen a paint that does anything like that.

If you mean "how to blue/blacken stainless steel", disregard my comment above.
Pete in NJ
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

I was replying to the following question:

What is a good way to color stainless, if there is a good way, to brown or yellowish?

I could also say that if you are trying to make the barrel have a bronze color, it could be plated.
beech

Post by beech »

Thundermugs (thunderbolt in reality) made from 18" studs 4.5" diameter with 6" nuts. Bore is 1.75". Meant to fire up with concussion 360*. Uses 3 or so oz. of FFG. Here is a film of me goofing around in the shop. Found materials.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYVmdTFBQcE

georgepapa

Post by georgepapa »

Hi gw,
You can probably see mine at s200/photobucket/papandropoulos.
I also startedwith a short piece of brass(or bronze?) And ended up with a canon.
Regards,
George
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Nice way to reformat your hard drive.
~RN