Drilling long holes.

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

MattMa01

Drilling long holes.

Post by MattMa01 »

So, owing to the fact that many of us hobbyists are somewhat limited in our access to machine tools, I'm looking for opinions on how some of you would solve this problem.

Say I have to drill a through hole in an object that is about 7 inches long. It needs to be straight, but I don't have access to a gun drilling machine and/or can't afford to buy a gun drilling bit. If some of you were faced with this problem, what would you do?

I have blueprints for the 1851 Colt Navy revolver and the barrel assembly is about seven inches long. Worst case scenario is I am unable to gain access to more specialized tooling and I have to find a way to drill out the barrel with the tools I have available.
SteveM

Re: Drilling long holes.

Post by SteveM »

If the outside diameter isn't yet turned, drill the hole in an oversized piece, put the work between centers so that it is centered on the holes and then turn the outside diameter.

Steve
MattMa01

Post by MattMa01 »

Hmm, in that case I may have to find someone who can gun drill it for me then. The barrel assembly is one piece.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Matt,

I'm a bit puzzled. Are you going to make a Colt Navy revolver from blue prints? If so, I admire your courage considering your statement of having limited access to machine tools. Please keep us informed of your progress and of coarse, we will need to see pics. :)

Jack.
MattMa01

Post by MattMa01 »

Well, that's the idea anyway. I'm going to have to get creative with how I machine things or ask my old teacher if I can use the CNC equipment in his classroom for things like the frame.

Like I said before, it looks like I may have to find someone who does have access to a gun drill and get the barrel assemblies finished that way. And I will be posting pictures for sure.