Does lapping in the locking lugs on bolt increase head space

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

hammermill

Re: Does lapping in the locking lugs on bolt increase head s

Post by hammermill »

sorry for the bad news :cry: solds like a life well lived.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks guys, yes, she was loved by all who met her in her 91+++ years. :D

Jack.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

My condolences, but 91 years is more than a fair run.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Having a family meet just recently, I remember the ones now vacant from the laughter..They are honored with our memories of life.

Safely rest, Dear one.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

something else to keep in mins is weatherby builds thier rifles with a fair amount of freeboreas a means of keeping down the initial pressure in the cartridge shooting top loads expect barrel life of around 600 shots
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks again guys.

Jack.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks for the reply a while back, Jack. I wasn't familiar with belted cartridges, so it all makes more sense now.

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your Mother. It does sound as though she had a full life.

I hope we all do as well!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks Glen,

She will be missed :( but will be well remembered. :D :D

Jack.

P.S. I have been learning a lot about reloading and belted cartridges.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

Jack, real sorry to hear of your Mom's passing.

As to headspace gauges for a belted magnum. Why bother??? Headspace is an arbitrary concept and is measured differently for the different type cases commonly used.

Rimmed case chambers are measured from front of rim to bolt face. Due to vagaries of cartridge rim thicknesses [sloppy at best].

Rimless case chambers are measured from a datum point on the shoulder to bolt face. [best method] and only one that has any consistant accuracy.

And lastly, belted magnum cases are measured from frnt of belt to bolt face. [suffers from same drawbacks as rimmed]

Reality check..........unless you own a double rifle and a bolt action magazine rifle both in the same caliber and wish to use the same ammo in each interchangably. A belted magnum case is just a superflous waste of brass and uses the "BigBoomerMagnum Craze" as a sales gimmick only. Because they look kewl.

Because the belted magnum case was developed by H&H in 1912 IIRC for just that purpose and no other. The belt only serves that real world purpose.

The belt is below the web of the case and adds zero strenght or support to the case.

Like George G said.
While the standard headspace for belted cases is measured between the breech face and the front of the belt, most accuracy wonks will eventually headspace off the shoulder as with normal bottleneck cases. Part of the problem is the belt is pretty narrow and the brass doesn't always fit it well. Another part is case life because most sizing dies set the shoulder back more than necessary and you get case stretching with each shot.
And UnionCreek,
Yes, I thought might be. Fired brass is the way to go. Just neck size the case when reloading and only use them in that rifle and you'll be fine.

Advise you to neck size your cases and forget the superflous belt. Especially with the price of Weatherby brass. It will last many times longer and be more accurate.

Even if you have perfectly matched brass to headspace off the belt. Take a look at the symmetry of the case in chamber relationship. Tight at the rear only, with the rest of that big ole case rattling around like a "BB" in a box car without proper circumferential shoulder/neck/bullet/chamber throat alignment support.

Headspace gages only needed if newly chambering a barrel with a belted case, and then only to be sure factory ammo will fit so you can fireform it. From that point on like the wiseguy said,

"fogitaboutit"

JM2c
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks JM2c,

Yes, from what all here have said and from my reading other sites I will be neck sizing my once fired cases only. As for the once fired range cases I bought, some will have to be FLsized as the cases must have been fired in a chamber larger than mine and they will not fit in my chamber without forcing. Thanks all for your advice and condolences.

Jack.