Does lapping in the locking lugs on bolt increase head space

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

unioncreek

Re: Does lapping in the locking lugs on bolt increase head s

Post by unioncreek »

Jack,

If you can find what the measurement from the front of the belt to the base should be you could better determine what the actual headspace is.

Bob
JackF

Post by JackF »

HI Bob,

Therein lies the rub. Saami give a min/max for that distance.... .220 -.008. That's why I believe you can only determine your actual head space for your rifle with cartridges fired from your rifle.

Jack.
unioncreek

Post by unioncreek »

Yes, I thought might be. Fired brass is the way to go. Just neck size the case when reloading and only use them in that rifle and you'll be fine.

Bob
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

As you have seen, the headspace dimension of the cases is not uniform, so unless you sort cases for a given size, you will never be able to control headspace with the belt (also an example of why you should use gauges to measure instead of cases.) Not so if you headspace on the shoulder, as the cases will eventually take on the size of your chamber as long as you don't set the shoulder back too much when resizing the cases.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

with all the concern of head space brass too plays a role.

i would first pick up a small scale and weight each case and sort
a height gauge
will help with checking rim position

primer holes need to be gauged for consistency along with many other things that impact accuracy in a reload

a while back i started dialing in a 6mm for yodel dogs out of 1000 new brass cases i wound up with several piles.

these two books will go into great detail for you

http://www.amazon.com/The-Accurate-Rifl ... 1886681066

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rifle-Ac ... im_sbs_b_1

although a bit dated, neither is expensive used and are well worth your time
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Here is another thought that has not been brought up yet and I thought worth mentioning.

If the reloaded rounds are for a hunting rifle, a person may want to sacrifice the little bit of accuracy gained when neck sizing in favour of the reliability of clambering a round when full size resizing. It is never good for a gun to jam with a big bear charging.

When hunting at normal hunting distances sub MOA accuracy is not necessary, all a person needs is 'minute of deer' accuracy. A person should be able to produce ammunition shooting to MOA accuracy with a full length resize.

If the rifle is for bench rest work or a long distance prairie dog shoots a jam due to tight ammo tolerances is not as critical as when hunting... Unless the rabid prairie dogs start charging!! Lol
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

prairie dogs with a weatherby 300 belt mag??? how big do those things get in canada??? :lol:
redneckalbertan

hammermill wrote:prairie dogs with a weatherby 300 belt mag??? how big do those things get in canada??? :lol:
Sometimes you just have to have fun!!!

Not sure what you have in Oregon for prairie dogs we have Richardson Ground Squirrels, to be more accurate. They are 8 to 10 inches long and about 2 1/2" in diameter. They can get larger but that would be a good average here. My longest kill was approx. 350 yards confirmed with a witness .204 Ruger coming out of a heavy Savage my own reloads. After that I tried a few shot at 400 yards and couldn't hit he broad side of a barn. I'm not sure what's happening out after 350 yards, but I think the bullet is starting to destabilize and tumble. My father-in-law has hit a gopher at 700... I'm striving for 701... I may need to go bigger to get a gopher that far!
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

we have the occasional rock chuck lots of red leg ground squirrels in the field edges

favorites to shoot are .17 hornady and 22 long rifle from there i move out to a 223 in a savage heavey barrel

then out to a 6mm .

rockchucks offer the longest shots and a bigger target

some friends who travel to the mid west take 1000,s of rounds for a week long vacation of shooting, the also reload all winter.
redneckalbertan

hammermill wrote:we have the occasional rock chuck lots of red leg ground squirrels in the field edges

favorites to shoot are .17 hornady and 22 long rifle from there i move out to a 223 in a savage heavey barrel

then out to a 6mm .

rockchucks offer the longest shots and a bigger target

some friends who travel to the mid west take 1000,s of rounds for a week long vacation of shooting, the also reload all winter.
I have heard of the hunts in the Dakota's and would love to head down there one day. As an added bonus AR-15's can be used for hunting down there! Ar's and pistols, along with others are classed as restricted firearms and can only be shot at an approved range up here.

But, this is all off topic... Have you had time to machine some headspace gauges?
JackF

Post by JackF »

All good info guys, thanks. Haven't been on the computer for 3 days to be with family with the passing of my mother. She was a good old gal. :D :D :D

Jack.
unioncreek

Post by unioncreek »

Jack,
Condolences from my family to yours. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Bob