Difference between go and no go

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

heisler0

Difference between go and no go

Post by heisler0 »

What is the difference between the go and no go gauge? and next part to the question probably has several different answers but how close of a tolerance should one strive to keep to the go gauge. Does it make a difference in the accuracy of the gun to keep this as tight as possible or not much difference? just a couple questions I was thinking about last night. I just chambered my next project and go gauge feed nicely and with one piece of tape it was snug but still closed. Sorry I posted in the wrong spot.
Dave_C

Re: Difference between go and no go

Post by Dave_C »

From what you described, if the go gages fits but does not fit with one piece of scotch tape on the head end then that is about perfect.

To answer your original question about the differance. The no go gage is longer and if it goes in the chamber you are too loose.

Does it affect accuracy? Yes it can but more importantly it will ruin cases very quickly, maybe even let them split due to the chamber being too long.

Factory cases are generally made to minimum specs, not max! So to get cases to excess length means they are going to have to be stretched when fire formed.

My Rem 700 Target/Tacticle has a minimum length chamber. It is very accurate! (4 bullets in same hole at 300 Yards)

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

sorry I was wondering what the length difference between the two are? is there a given distance on all or does it differ per cartridge?
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Ok, that is a horse of a different color!

And I do not know the answer.... I would think they might vary by caliber due to a great variation in case size and length.

For example, .010" is a lot on a 22 caliber cartridge but not so much on a 458 Loft.

Maybe someone else has a better idea and can help here.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

this may shine some light on the subject for you

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20N ... 080722.pdf
heisler0

Post by heisler0 »

I believe that answers it.
Msalm

Post by Msalm »

That article is more or less written for just the AR10, semi-auto rifles. TYPICALLY headspace difference between go and no-go is .004" in MOST rifle chambers. Or at least that is what I've always understood it to be.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

hammermill wrote:this may shine some light on the subject for you

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20N ... 080722.pdf
Ken, :D

Thanks for the great share. :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
pacrat

Post by pacrat »

It varies by cartridge.

Here is the link to SAAMI, cartridge case and reamer specs. The lower drawing is for reamers. Check the datum point measurements +/- for headspace variances on several different cartridges.

http://saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawin ... Mauser.pdf
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

My gunsmith tested my 30-06 Springfield with a no-go test round. It chambered fully. My good condition sporterized antique is going to have to be rebarreled soon. It will shoot well. But heavy loads will stretch things even more. Yes it will pop the cases eventually, and fire form the shoulder of the cases making them unusable for reloading.

He tells me a good chamber is no more than half down on the bolt, on the guage. If they are there, you must consider the options, and use less HOT ammo. I still have the gun.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I've discussed this issue in the past. A story that might be worth repeating. Sorry to bore those who've already heard it.

I had P.O. Ackley make me a bolt action 6MM rifle. The barreled action was then sent to Harry Lawson, in Tuscon, for a fitted thumbhole stock. Took about six months to get the rifle and finish the stock. Imagine my surprise when I took it to the firing range and fired three shots, with two of them splitting the brass. Luckily, one of them remained intact, allowing me to take measurements to determine what was going on.

Turns out there's about (I don't recall the exact amount) .09" headspace. The barrel is bedded at the receiver, and engraved, so adjusting the headspace isn't really an option.

No problem. Fire form new cases (made from 270 or '06 brass), and set the sizing die accordingly. Works perfectly well, although I am now the proud owner of a wildcat that very much resembles a 6MM.

Head space is a concern only if you intend to use commercial ammunition. If your particular rifle has a problem (too much headspace), there's nothing saying you can't size your brass accordingly. A bit dangerous in the hands of someone uninformed, however.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.