1917 Enfield

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Metalshaper

1917 Enfield

Post by Metalshaper »

just got asked about a 1917 Enfield that seems to be throwing its group after 3 rounds?
the guy asking about it has already been told "MANY" reasons by some concrete experts..
what should I be telling him to look for??

I'm asking you guys, cuz I normally just do BP and rarely deal with cartridge types :roll:

I told him to check the action/stock screws.. and to look seriously at the muzzle/crown..
wondering if the bore might be greased up as he said he hasn't had it for very long??

Whaddaya think???

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Dave_C

Re: 1917 Enfield

Post by Dave_C »

Johnathan,

The 1917 enfield has wooden upper hand guards much like a M-1 Garand. Since you said it throws its group after three shots I might know what is causing it as my M1 did the same thing after three or four shots.

Have him look at the space between the ends of the upper hand guard. IF it fits tight to the action it will expand from heat and cause the muzzel to deflect as the heat builds up. I had to give mine abut .030 clearance to stop the problem.

It is a simple fix but gets missed because people look at the gun instead of the wood.

Or not! :lol:

Dave
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
steamin10

Re: 1917 Enfield

Post by steamin10 »

Believe it or not, a large number of semi autos were recycled on the world market from an African Fiasco. The rifles were refurbed, and checked for function, but in the end, they were total junk, in that the users commonly put the rifle across a coupla rocks and sat on them. The resulting tweek in the barrel made for groups that had flyers everywhere as the barrel heated and cooled.

Anybody remember the H&K s that had this?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.