So, I have this Husqvarna RB Action.......

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

olddaddy

So, I have this Husqvarna RB Action.......

Post by olddaddy »

Now what? I picked up the action thinking I might re-barrel to a "modern" pistol caliber. Maybe .45 colt, .44 mag, or .357 mag. So, I need a barrel, which I could buy, but cost is always a consideration. Anyone here ever cut square threads? OR, installed a barrel blank onto an original barrel stub? Or have an original barrel or stub? OR some other cool option? I can't just let it lay there on the bench, it needs me to do something with it. Any advice appreciated.
Small RB left.JPG
GeorgeGaskill

Re: So, I have this Husqvarna RB Action.......

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

.45 Colt would be a good choice for just goofing around. No pistol caliber is going to be a long range cartridge so go with the easy one, assuming you already have reloading gear for it. Check out Green Mountain Barrels.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i have had a couple variation of rifles in 357 mag i liked to shoot, often guys go with the rifle and handgun using the same ammo

another thought may be to drill out the old barrel and install a barrel liner to keep the old panteen look as a option.
olddaddy

Post by olddaddy »

I am inclined to do a barrel liner, but need to find a barrel first......45 colt seems a good caliber for this style of action and I would love to have a pistol/rifle combo in the same caliber. I need to find out what barrels will thread into the action and ideally find one that is good enough to use and line.
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

I have a 16 guage shotgun barrel that came off a Husky action I will send it to you if you want it, shipping charges apply. I can cut the barrel or send it whole It will give you the thread info. Have you run a file across the action? Most of them I have run across are glass hard. A real pain to drill.
olddaddy

Post by olddaddy »

Rolland wrote:I have a 16 guage shotgun barrel that came off a Husky action I will send it to you if you want it, shipping charges apply. I can cut the barrel or send it whole It will give you the thread info. Have you run a file across the action? Most of them I have run across are glass hard. A real pain to drill.
PM sent on the barrel, thanks for the help!!!
squirrel whisperer

Post by squirrel whisperer »

I rebarreled Rolling Blocks in my long ago youth. The major consideration is the size of the firing pin hole. If it is about 1/16" -5/64" then you can use a modern high intensity cartridge such as a 225 Winchester. But if it was originally made for a blackpowder cartridge and the firing pin hole is much larger than 5/64" then you may run the risk of a modern high intensity cartridges primer leaking high pressure back into the firing pin hole and back into your face, or worse. In Frank De Haas The Single Shot Rifle is found very clear directions for bushing the old firing pin hole and installing a Self Venting firing pin. Square threads are not a Nightmare, they tend to be much easier to cut, but turn the barrel shank about 0.005" smaller than the threads and lubricate the threads with graphite. Lots of possible cartridges can be used. The 25/20, the 32/40, the 38/55, or even the 45/70 are good choices. I like the Express cartridges such as the 45/90, the 40/82, and even the 444 Marlin with 44 Magnum handgun bullets. But high pressure above 30,000 could cause you physical damage. 45 Long Colt is a great choice though.