Barrel Liner install?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

olddaddy

Barrel Liner install?

Post by olddaddy »

Thanks to Rolland I now have a barrel, stock and fore arm to work with. Measuring the barrel in terms of boring it for the liner it looks like the 5/8" liner may be too small and the 7/8" liner too large. It appears the barrel is tapered and I won't know what size will work till I cut it down to 20". In the meantime I was wondering if tig welding the liner at either end would be acceptable for installation? I know folks use loctite and epoxy which coats the length of the liner and bore. Would a good tig weld at either end be sufficient to hold the liner and take the pressure of firing on the liner?
hammermill

Re: Barrel Liner install?

Post by hammermill »

No support it,it's a liner not a barrel. Do the glass or solder job
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

What caliber are we talking here? If the barrel or liner is 4140, the welding process is non-trivial.
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

I use Brownells acra-glas gel never had a problem. This might help http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn ... 0Liner.pdf
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Odd thing happened -- I tried to type "ALT-2-4-8" to get a superscript "o" -- a "degrees" sign -- and the message went away.

Anyway, back to the point -- I know people have used solder to install barrel liners, but how do you get the solder to flow all the way down through the bore ?

And how do you keep other things soldered to the barrel -- like mounting lugs, or sights -- from UN-soldering ?

I've used TIX -- melts about 275 deg (here's where I wanted that symbol) F, but never for an application like this.

Any comments ? This would be for a .22 RF, so pressure isn't a consideration.
Pete in NJ
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

Here is a degree symbol ( ° ); cut and paste it into a file and save it so you can access it in the future.

If you do html, you can create one with °
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I routinely use the alt + feature, and have also experienced the loss of a composed post when attempting to add the feature. I do not claim to understand why it works sometimes, and sometimes it does not, but for this thread, and in general, I have success. Here's a few that I like to use.

Alt248 °
Alt155 ¢
Alt171 ½
Alt172 ¼

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

before acura glass the soldering was done much like a pipe, start the heat on one end and after temp is reached to melt start moving the torch down barrel the solder will flow to the higher heat as the torch moves along other things such as sights you can tie on with wire or
just resolder
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

All we ever used was the Loctite , never had any problems .
ndoki

Post by ndoki »

I've used loctite 620 cylindrical adhesive to install 22 caliber barrel liners, and it works great. There is one serious consideration that you need to address when installing a liner. You'll need to be sure that the liner slides easily inside the barrel your re-lining before you use any kind of adhesive. If you apply the adhesive and then find out that the liner gets stuck half way in the barrel - you've got big trouble! You can use acraglas, epoxy, loctite thread locker, etc. and they will work. The solder method isn't used much anymore.
rbertalotto

Post by rbertalotto »

I use loctite 620 cylindrical adhesive.

Wrote an article on my web site about the process for a Winchester 1873 and a Winchester 1892

www.rvbprecision.com
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Very interesting, and it will save me from a few mistakes, if/when I ever get around to re-lining that .22 "parlour rifle".

Main problem I see coming is that the thing originally was chambered for .22 Flobert - the case is only about 1/4" long - so the extractor actually supports the entire side of the case. I'll have to check it carefully, and may have to make an entirely new part. At the very least, I'll have some interesting fitting to do, relieving the liner to accommodate the extractor.

Again, thanks.

And Merry Christmas !!!
Pete in NJ