Making a Sharps rifle on my lathe

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

homebrew .357

Re: Making a Sharps rifle on my lathe

Post by homebrew .357 »

Now I had the hammer fitting on the tumbler shaft I could assemble the action together with the main spring to see if it worked . As I thought the spring was hard to cock, had left it .100" thick , the plan was for .085", so easer to take some off than back on, after some grinding and sanding it worked good, nice and firm. Tried a sample of the side plate steel to see what colour the temper would be, came out nice, and the hammer should be the same when finished .Pics of the assembled action, uncocked and full cocked and the test bit, Cheers, Homebrew.357.
Attachments
Action assembled and test bit.
Action assembled and test bit.
after a bit of a play around it all works.
after a bit of a play around it all works.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi all, now I have the action assembly done , will be making the barrel next and then the receiver , but to stop this thread getting to long, will post two new threads. So look out for (Making a Sharps barrel in my lathe ), coming soon, 8) Homebrew.357.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

like the looks of the finnish detaila and look foreward to the action/rcvr
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

OOPS, :roll: , I meant to say the hammer and side plate is done, the receiver and action will take a while yet! Homebrew.357.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

I have been enjoying reading of your exploits building this rifle. Are you planning on making the stock as well, and including the building of that here?
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Redneck, Yes will be making the stock as well, the plans cover every thing, so will be looking for a nice bit of black walnut , but will be a while before I can do that. I`m making the barrel now, check my new thread, Cheers,Homebrew.357.