Bluing vs Rust

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

PeteH

Bluing vs Rust

Post by PeteH »

A while back, I bought a (modern) shotgun, in good shape except for a few small dots of red rust, where I presume some water landed before the gun was put away.

The overall finish is pretty good, for a low-priced, mass-produced gun. I'd like to get rid of the rust, which mostly is around where the vent-rib meets the barrel, but without removing any bluing.

Any suggestions ?
Pete in NJ
hammermill

Re: Bluing vs Rust

Post by hammermill »

Start with some fine steel wool and lite oil, be gentle,touch up with one of the out of the bottle products per instructions
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yup. I kinda thought that would be the advice. Being very lazy, I was hoping for some sort of chemical thing, but considering that at least some bluing is oxidative, I was (rightly) afraid it would take off the blue with the rust.

BTW, on that -- I scored a set of pin-vises the other day, and one or two of them had a little surface rust. I decided they were a small enough investment to try out Evapo-Rust. I had to soak them nearly two days to get rid of the rust, but it worked very well indeed: Pretty much all of it came off -- there are still a few rough spots, and I'll Scotch-Brite them later. But the fingers of the vises, which had a blue coloration, probably from heat-treating, all came clean grey too.

So t'ain't going to go on my gun. I'll do what Hammermill suggested; you can't see the spots from a couple of feet away, anyhow.
Pete in NJ
Msalm

Post by Msalm »

There is a product called Evaporust that works very well chemically that dissolves rust and when I used it it did not affect the bluing.