Making a sharps barrel in my lathe.

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

homebrew .357

Re: Making a sharps barrel in my lathe.

Post by homebrew .357 »

Thing`s were going good, have done three passes a long the barrel, so resharpened cutting bit and away for the forth cut, the gremlins had put a spanner in, Chattering, my fillings where rattling, What`s wrong , I checked it all and could not find any thing wrong. Had a think, wont`s changed, I remembered the cutter had small flat at the tip from sharping , could that be doing it. So recut and set up again, fingers X, yep, sweet as, well there you go, you learn things by doing it. I will not grind the od , will try my shaving way, and seeing it`s set up for that and it worked for my Hawken barrel , so should be ok. I can not put a follower at the back of the barrel, I`m cutting a taper with tail stock off centre, the front side is true to the lathe bed, so you carn`t use one. There will be some spring when cutting the octagonal, same as my Hawken barrel, it`s fat a bit in the middle , just make the barrel stronger. Will make a round disc to fit my rifling register with eight holes for cutting the octagonal and when doing it I only cut half the flat with the cutter, to hard to cut in one go. Cheers guys, keep your fire going over there. Homebrew.357. 8)
Attachments
Only one cut to go, fin.
Only one cut to go, fin.
No more catter,
No more catter,
Last bit.
Last bit.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

I like the approach of getting the job done with the tools at hand. I will look foreward to the using the lathe as a shaper to cur the flats. or you could go old time and draw file the flats. build up the arms for sure!
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Hammermill, No will not draw file it, or shave cut it, I just realised I have to chamber it first while it is still round for a good datum point, so will be setting up to do this and will be doing it very slowly . Will lathe out as much as I can and then try my chamber reamer I made, but have to harden it first and I made it with no throat end, yes I do make mistakes, so will have to make up a D bit for this at .458" dia . Homebrew.357.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi all, as you can see I`m really doing this in a back yard way, but because I have no precision measuring other than my T.D.I and micrometer, and as I said I will get the breech block and the hole for it done at a tool shop as I don`t want to stuff things ups. All so, I made a chamber reamer, but with no throat or lead, so again as not to stuff things up has anyone got a spare 45-70 reamer I could borrow for a while, just to do this one job, I would pay for postage here and when finished send it back to you in the US . I would get a better job with the right gear. :( Cheers, Homebrew.357.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Well. Midway lists them new for 105 us. With a 2week rental running almost 50.00 us :?
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Well having a look and all I can see is $248.99 ea, and there`s two of then, have to see if I can find a second hand one. Homebrew.357.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

boy the exchange rate must be crummy.
here they show for 103 us
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/520448 ... government
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Yes you are right, must show nz dollars, I thought that was US dollars. Gave David Manson a buzz, finish reamer, us $110 ,p/s, he said it would do the whole job, back to a rock and a hard place. Mite have to look at tool makers over here and when the job is done I could sell it, as it`s only for one job. Cheers, and keep warm over there. Homebrew.357.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi, While I`m waiting for the block of 4140 steel for the receiver had a go at making a resizing die for 45-70 , so using a t/c cutter and setting the top slide over a bit for the case taper, just feed in the top slide with the hand wheel and fine cuts to take out the spring it came out good. I used a new case to set up and the slight taper is not hard to machine , so I have new die for the 45-70.
So why am I looking at chamber reamers for :shock: , when I can just machine it, :roll: , guess what I`m doing. Homebrew.357.
Attachments
45-70 case rim being cut.
45-70 case rim being cut.
Barrel set up, case rim cut in and champerd.
Barrel set up, case rim cut in and champerd.
T/C cutter for the chambering job. using top slide.
T/C cutter for the chambering job. using top slide.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

It is a simple shape... Very interested to see how you chamber turns out!
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

I knew you would have a way with a little thinking hi hi
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Hammermill and Redneck, Yer, It takes a bit for the old brain to click in, after I finished the sizing die had a glass of my brew and bingo, I thought I have all ready made a chamber with the flaming die. Mind you it is done to s a a m I specks for the 45-70, but my be a bit tighter and no lead in to the rifling, just a 5-7 degree slope and a loaded case fits in nice and snug . Had to take a snig more out for the case rim to fit as they very in size a bit , so now I have a 45-70 chambered Sharps barrel and just need to make it octagonal . 8) .Homebrew.357.
Attachments
New case fits in snug.
New case fits in snug.
And same for a loaded case.
And same for a loaded case.