Making a sharps barrel in my lathe.

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

redneckalbertan

Re: Making a sharps barrel in my lathe.

Post by redneckalbertan »

Yes that is what I was thinking about Pete!
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi all, Just had a bit of a holiday for a week and just got my call up for my last hip op, so things will be a bit slow, will be on crutches for 5/6 weeks so no lathe work :cry: , Will have think of something to do!, :idea: I know, a nice cover for the Sharps rifle, a bit of bead work , yer, something like this, I will be back, Cheers ,Homebrew.357.
Attachments
1500x1000rifle-case-beaded-fringe_132[1].jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Luck with the operation. Keep us informed as to your progress, both health and gun-wise.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Look like the bead work will keep you busy. Good luck with the operation
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi all, the hip is coming along good, but still on crutches for a while yet. And now they have called me up for my hernia op, well mite as well get the lot done, and then I can take the Hawken out for a hunt. The Sharps cover is coming a long, looks about 1874 `is, will get the going when I take out to the range and pull out the Sharps , but will be a while yet. Will keep on at it, on such thing as,"Carn`t do it", Cheers, Homebrew.357.
Attachments
looks 1874
looks 1874
P1020067.JPG
P1020068.JPG
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I've not had a hip replaced, but I did undergo a hernia operation back in '80. A bit tender for a day, but otherwise no big deal. Hope you enjoy the same success. I followed the vet's instructions and was rewarded with a full recovery.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

good to see you up and around. just going thru cataract surgery and realizing now how dark my world had become.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Guys, All ready had one on the left side and as you say, no big deal. Have finished the Sharps rifle cover and my Hawken fits in it as well, mined I can`t try the Sharps, not finished . Now for my Hawken I`m making a possibles bag, plains rifle shooters bag, need to get sorted for when I take it hunting, at the range all my stuff is in a box. As I`m getting older thinking may have to down size my caravan and tow motor with all there`s op`s. First thing to do when I`m up and about is git my breech block hole cut out and may have a new breech block in 4140, wire E D M cutting is amazing , and leaving a fine fit. The b/block I made is of 1045, no good, barrel, action, and breech block all need to be A I S I4140 steel , so will get it on track. Cheers, Hombrew.357.
Attachments
Sharps cover, done.
Sharps cover, done.
Plains bag
Plains bag
A few frills
A few frills
My new deer hunting outfit.
My new deer hunting outfit.
images[4].jpg (7.69 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

you need a electric winch on the front, bigger battery s and camo paint and you should be good to go. hihi

i am working on plans/parts to downsize to a teardrop trailer. as all i need is a place to sleep and cook. will be a fun project and get the big camper off my back.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi all, Both op`s are coming on good, no more crutches and doing plenty of walks to wear it in. Have been making a few bits for the Sharps, mainly the back sight with lift up long range slider and have a front globe sight ready to fit, (off my air rifle). Just set the slider up on my milling lathe and milled and slot cut to fit back sight , then drilled small blind hole for spring to bind slide stiff. Would like to make a tang sight for it as well , but will have to look how to make one, could be a bit tricky , but as my grandson said," Grandad can fix anything, look he even made a gun!!" 8) Have looked at wire E D M for cutting out the breech block in the receiver and with a machinist and looks like no problem, only he is a deer hunter as well and wants to see all the plans for the Sharps, all the bits I`v made and the Hawken plains rifle!, "You made it all on your lathe", um well yea. So I`m hoping when the breech block is cut out I can use it as the breech block, should be a nice sliding fit in the receiver. So back in to it, Cheers, Hombrew.357.
Attachments
Milling slider
Milling slider
Fit is good.
Fit is good.
In the rough
In the rough
Looking good.
Looking good.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

Good to see you back up and making progress :D
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi guys, Will be picking up my receiver block with the breech block hole cut out this week, so will be back in to it with more milling and solving problems. Now is this thread getting to long?, should I keep it going or post a new thread, (Making a Sharps receiver on my lathe ), don`t want to be in trouble with the administrators . 8) Homebrew.357.