Materials Rack

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Materials Rack

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Finally got tired of tripping over a couple sections of 6" PVC pipe I acquired for free last summer from a metal worker who had sold his house, and was cleaning out his storage yard.

I always intended to use the pipe to store short to medium lengths of round stock, all thread, and misc bar stock.

So welded up a simple frame to hold stacked layers of 24" long pipe. Here's the result. Seems to work well, so far.
Raw materials 1/2" bar stock from our old living room/front door bannister
Raw materials 1/2" bar stock from our old living room/front door bannister
The frame, welded with uprights
The frame, welded with uprights
End view, PVC pipe stacked in two layers in the frame
End view, PVC pipe stacked in two layers in the frame
Close up of the frame construction - nothing elaborate. Made to sit on a shelf in a storage cabinet
Close up of the frame construction - nothing elaborate. Made to sit on a shelf in a storage cabinet
Oblique view, stacked pipe holding assorted round stock and all thread
Oblique view, stacked pipe holding assorted round stock and all thread
The frame will go over and sit on a metal storage shelf, after I clean it up and put on a coat of paint to control rust.

If I ever need additional storage, I figure I can slide some pieces of 3/4" square tubing over the up rights, and add one or two or more layers of PVC pipe. At the moment, this is about all I need to store short lengths.

So far, so good!
glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
10KPete

Re: Materials Rack

Post by 10KPete »

Can you say "fire wood rack" ??? It's too simple to work.....

And all this time I've been dithering over various options that are far more complex than yours.....

Pete
Just tryin'
spro

Post by spro »

Yeh that works and makes sense. If you have a stack, it doesn't take long for the one section you need, to be buried under much weight.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

That "too far down" problem exist with my stack. But my bigger problem is "loosing stuff". I've already been using some of the larger tubular steel to organize the smaller. Great until I need that large piece. But anyway, the problem I have is stuff of different lengths. If it's at all shorter than the containing piece, I am sure to do a variety of things over time that result in the piece getting pushed back and disappearing into the void. I've "found" things quite a few times by the next thing I shove in getting stopped part way in. I then get the joy of trying to fish out (for example) a 1' long piece of 1/2" bar stock down at the far end of a 3' tube. Most of the tubes are open on the back end, so it just falls out, then I get to go spelunking back there (the back side is open, but other stuff stored there) to find that piece, only to notice a few more are keeping it company. As a result, I've been tending toward vertical storage for short pieces where nothing is shorter than the "container", and horizontal dog leg storage for longer pieces, but I've found no perfect options.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

For small stuff, REMS, cut offs etc, I've been thinking about a giant electro magnetic plate, like a big inverted magnetic chuck - screwed to the ceiling. I could just throw the pieces up into the air and they would magnetically rise upwards and stick to the plate, mounted over top of my work bench. My boy has something like this in his tricked out tailgate monster truck for beer caps. Might be a bit of a nuisance though, when the power flickers or goes out. Otherwise couple of cardboard boxes still keeps my short cut offs buried and away from view.

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Might be a bit of a nuisance though, when the power flickers or goes out.
And from the saying "Raining cats and dogs" came the saying "Raining shorts and squats". :lol:
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Post by spro »

I was going to say something but paused. I need to read and say less.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Spro, I always enjoy what you say! Fire away. All in Jest, with good info thrown in sometimes for good measure!

Glenn

Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Using a similar rack concept, except that the tubes are vertical and in various lengths, about 6" increments, and blocked on the bottom. Stock goes into the tube that lets the end of the stock stick out so it is visible, so there is a rough sort by length. Over 6ft in length, it switches to a horizontal rack.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Mine is in a horizontal rack, multiple sections, some with trays for short pieces, long pieces up to 10' stretch over multiple sections. Blocks and very short bits go on closet-type wire shelving across the back wall of the shop.
spro

Post by spro »

I was going to mention cast iron storage racking sections. It doesn't have much to do with welding except lots of long angle and tube are also stored. These came in at least two basic styles. The ones seen on the net are of "tree" design, the profile resembling a conifer with upturned branches. This type is free standing as the stock is relatively balanced. It appears these sections are sold individually because they are vintage and look cool. There is another type which fits closer to the wall. The semi circular arms hold tremendous weight and each section is tied to another and bolted to the floor. (and wall, at places)
spro

Post by spro »

It is possible someone else is in an old machine shop auction and finds these. The closest I can find on the web now, is one pic where two sections were converted to a shelving unit. The deeper gussets of the arms were filled with wood, to allow a flat shelf.
Back when I got mine, they were fairly loaded with long stock. Some guys knew what they were because the rounds were painted a color they knew. I sold a few lengths cheap. I was just lucky to get home with the old Dodge van. It was totally loaded. The long stock was on the top rack and man it was a careful drive. Sweating bullets and it was hot already.
I had not seen these cast iron, pipe/ stock racks until recently when they became vintage cast iron. They were shown in older catalogs from before 1939 ~ but that doesn't really matter now. What does matter, is if you find these sections in a scrap pile. They really are great.