"Low Temp" Welding Rod

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

redneckalbertan

Re: "Low Temp" Welding Rod

Post by redneckalbertan »

warmstrong1955 wrote:
redneckalbertan wrote:
warmstrong1955 wrote:This wire may be worth some money....It's over 40 years old....classic category I think.... :lol:
Hmm... so if i was in the market for classic TIG rod how would I know that it's 40 years old and not something you bought yesterday? ER70S2 is a common TIG and MIG wire.
It's called....
"humor"
"jocularity"
"a joke"
I missed the humor, one thing the Internet is not good at is indicating tone. I find humor and sarcasm easily lost.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

ER70S6 is the most common MIG wire when I went to school I was to it makes up about 70% of wire sales, I am assuming that is solid wire sales. Relying on my memory from bacm when I went to school, both ER70S6 and ER70S2 use silicon as an oxygen scavenger with the s2 having sight lyrics more. The s2 is better suited to automated processes and gives a little better wetting action along the edges.either is fine for MIG or tig mild steel applications but the s6 is cheeper and what I use and recommend for MIG.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I my little shop, I mostly use either Hobart HB28, or Lincoln L56 for steels, both are E70S-6. Whatever is cheaper at the time is what I buy more, since as far as performance, and appearance, I can't tell the difference.

As I understand it, from my welding gurus, the silicon helps when welding through rust, dirt , and mill scale. Much like 5P.

Most of my TIG welding with steels, is on things that don't really matter much what I use. I have that one old tube of E70S-2, but it's to big to use on things like exhaust pipes etc.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Only thing I know that is "lower temp." than TIG with 70S-2or6 steel rod would be TIG with bronze filler. But you would have noticed the yellow color.
Ernie F.
HDB

Post by HDB »

There isn't a single ferrometallic alloy to my knowledge that melts below 1100°C. Most of them do arround 1400-1500°C. So the low temp "welding rod" must be a brazing rod...

Also, stick welding yields temperatures around 6800°C for ferrometallic alloys.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Exhaust pipe = coat hangers in my shop. Mostly gas weld tho for heat control, puddle and step.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.