Plasma kerf width..

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Scott

Plasma kerf width..

Post by Scott »

I have been messing around with my plasma cutter, and came up with a interesting setup.. I have a cnc table, but like to cut out artwork/ etc by hand.. I have been looking for the smallest kerf I could find, and tumbled onto this.. Guess what machine gets the smallest kerf? :mrgreen:
Attachments
kerf.jpg
mcostello

Re: Plasma kerf width..

Post by mcostello »

Wire EDM.
Scott

Re: Plasma kerf width..

Post by Scott »

No,
it my standard 120 amp A-120 plasma cutter turned down to 30 amps (bottom output) . Trick with the Victor is (Thermal Dynamics) to run the smaller SL-40 torch from a cutmaster 42 on the larger machine.. 20-35 amp tip.. Really shocking just how small a standard air plasma kerf can be when drag cutting.. Many people bad mouth the Thermal dynamics, but don't take the time to set them up correctly for the thickness cut. (IMO) Esab/Hypertherm generally are right on the # in their cut charts. Thermal may or may not be on the money.. I can tell you right now the nothing from Esab or Hypertherm gets close in the larger 1/3 phase machine.. A friend owns the Hypertherm 85, and I own the Esab 1600 also.. Both are great machines!
Attachments
low-end.jpg
esab victor.jpg