converting a marquette 12-175 mig welder to flux core

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

kyle623

converting a marquette 12-175 mig welder to flux core

Post by kyle623 »

I picked up a marquette 12-175 gass mig welder and was wondering if there was a way to change it over to weld flux core? I know on my hobart I have to switch the polarity for flux core and I wanted the little 90 amp for small jobs outside of the shop. I took the cabinet off and it looks like a pain to change over, If it is possible, I would like to know how it can be done.
Thanks, Kyle
redneckalbertan

Re: converting a marquette 12-175 mig welder to flux core

Post by redneckalbertan »

Don't hook up a gas bottle... Other than that I would stick a plug into the gas port on the welder after removing the regulator. You may be able to get a different contact tip holder as you won't need a gas diffuser, but you could use a gas diffuser as a tip holder.
gman6011

Post by gman6011 »

+ 1 on covering or plugging the gas inlet, Other than switching the polarity, DCEN electrode to negative, Ground clamp to positive, you will need the knurled drive wheel for the size wire used. I leave my small 110v mig with 030 innershield. Do not buy hf wire it is horrible, unless they changed it since I tried it.

George.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Not all innershield wire is straight polarity, check first for the wire type you are using. I'll second the not using cheep wire, from others that use self shielding wire, a good name brand wire like lincoln is worth the money spent.
magic9r

Post by magic9r »

Why not buy a Stick (MMA) Set, the welds are better quality than those achieved by running flux cored wire through a wire fed machine and you also gain the option of using carbon rods for heating parts or running a Carbon Arc Torch ;-)
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

x2 on the cheep wire from HF and Menards stores. They are junk. Better to go to a welding supply and pay the freight.

Cover gas is much cleaner and better control for light tubing and sheet work. Innersheild is a step backwards IMHO.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

My local Home Despot carries Lincoln flux-core wire. I'm not sure if it's cheaper or more expensive than at the local welding supply shop, but unless the difference was substantial, I'd tend to buy from the small independent guy.
Pete in NJ
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Just to be clear, my area Menards carries an off brand, as does HF. Tried both, with equal poor results. I have 3 Welding stores within 10 miles, and each is fully supplied. I use them and the local Air Conditioning supply houses for the silver and related supplies.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.