Old Timer, Back to welding!

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

golfpin

Re: Old Timer, Back to welding!

Post by golfpin »

Got to go with every thing you say Big Dave....... the mottled colour of the rods should have been the first tip off and all the other maxims apply, sounds that the old timer who taught you taught me only I chose to forget, can I please hide behind "old age" as the excuse. Also from the Oldtimers basket of advice the one liners always apply .... to weld it you got to be able see it or or to turn it you have to be able to hold it, cleanliness is next to Godliness ........all great truisms thanks for the input,
All the best Golfpin.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Have no fear, if there is a way to ork things up, I have already been there, and moved on. My problem now is changing eyes, and staying in practice eye/hand. Once learned, you get it back, cause you know what to do.

A welding Instructor told his new class what to expect, as I sat in on that day. His words: "The two best ways to fail my class, is dont show up, or hand me something HOT!"

Another quote: "If you want to be a welder, put that hammer away, I dont want a bunch of carpenters ringing the steel".

He was a fun guy, but I didn't take his class. He had a setup in his barn, clean and mean. 8 machines, run on 3 phase, and he a nuclear qualified welder. He was good with the mills here, and his recomendation usually guarenteed a job start.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

To add to the truisms, I have done a fair bit of work on oil rigs where everything is almost always muddy from working or wet from being cleaned. When people were cleaning around me or asking is there was enough saw dust in the cellar to work on I used to say, "A dry welder is a happy welder, and a happy welder is a good welder."