Tig or Mig cast aluminum??

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Wanna-Be

Tig or Mig cast aluminum??

Post by Wanna-Be »

As I just mentioned in an earlier post, I am just returning to welding and aluminum is my main interest for now.

My first project will be to to weld a 3/8" plate to a cast aluminum cylinder shape. I have a good mig spook gun but would rather do this with tig if possible. I should have enough heat with my Miller Sycrowave 220 and pre-heat as required.
I am just not sure how well this will go, welding rolled plate to cast aluminum. I believe the casting to be of good quality since it is from a pressure cooker which I am cutting down in height by several inches and adding the heavier bottom with a center hub, for the bowl of a centrifugal waste oil purifier, turning at 3600 rpm. Trying to keep the weld build up as uniform as possible to reduce ultimate balancing problems.

Your comments and suggestion are welcome.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Metalman

Re: Tig or Mig cast aluminum??

Post by Metalman »

You could weld it either way, MIG or TIG. Here I would preheat and TIG something like that because I can control it better and get a neat weld on the first go around. I use the spool gun when I need production/speed where lots of welds are involved and super nice TIG welds are a waste of time, usually tube frames and extrusion joints. When the materials are of new thickness or something I'm not sure what I need to MIG I will test weld on scraps. Can't do that on a small repair weld and I don't want to experiment on the part, so most all weld jobs other than what I described get TIG welded including steel and stainless.
But that's me. Someone who primarily uses MIG on aluminum may be able to execute that weld on the first try based on their previous experiences.
My go to aluminum TIG filler rod for years is mostly 4043, sometimes 5356. I understand (I think Hobart) introduced a 4943 filler rod last year and I'm reading lots of good about it, especially for welding cast aluminum. Some are stating they are switching to the 4943 in place of the 4043 for all. I will be ordering some to try for myself.
Ernie F.
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

Thanks, I would appreciate it if you let me know how this new rod works out because I haven't invested in any yet. Don't want to stock up on the various old school rod, if there is a new "wiz-bang" multi-use rod out there.

My local weld supplier is Air Gas but my favorite for customer service is PraAir here in the North West. I'll call either one and see what they have to offer.

Might be a while before I can do this project since I'm still hoping for find a good deal on a used foot control with the Miller 14 pin connection.

Thanks again.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

I just checked with AirGas and PraxAir and neither had heard of it. AirGas is looking into it but PraxAir found it in their system, from MaxAll and it is $7/lb with smallest quantity of 10 lb. He read off the product description for me and it sounds good but I really need to find someone to split a box with. Your a long way away but if anyone is out here in the Pac. NW. give me a shout.

Steve
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

I just read your other post about getting back into welding. Hope your eyesight situation improves.
From what I've read the 4943 is not widely available due to minimum orders (100lbs ?) on the suppliers end. LWS may or may not have it available. So that translates to expensive. I'll most likely order some online to try and I will let you know how it works out.
That said maybe buy smaller amounts of 4043, worked great for me over the last 30 years. The 4943 will have to be noticeably better to make the switch and I'm well stocked with 4043.
Ernie F.
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

PraxAir has it in stock at their Altoona ? warehouse in 10 lb quantities. That is available with a few days shipping, but I'm not ready to commit to that much without some one to share the purchase with. AirGas sells welding electrode in small quantities to local weld school students and small shops. I will see if they are willing to get in and split 10 lb quantity. PraxAir won't do this.

Thanks,
Steve
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Im assumeing that would be 10 - 1lb spools? I've used a fair bit of 4043 in a spool gun, good general purpose wire, I've heard murmerings about the 4943 but never used it. I can't add anymore than what metalman said.
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

I'm looking at is as a Tig wire, but if it is available on mig spool I will give it a try.

Steve