spool gun vs mig gun

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

golfpin

spool gun vs mig gun

Post by golfpin »

Explanation please,
what is the difference or the application of a mig setup versus a spoolgun. Have seen pictures of a spool gun but have never seen one in use or seen one in South Africa !!! We are behind the times in many aspects but can some one please tell me the difference. Wire welders or Co2 are seen everywhere but spool guns no.
Thanks Golfpin
Carm

Re: spool gun vs mig gun

Post by Carm »

Hi Golfpin
Spoolguns were originally intended for soft wire i.e. aluminium. Traditional feeders ("push") usually kink the wire despite such remedies as Teflon liners, using the next size steel liner etc.
They can also be used for small spools of other filler and sometimes can be had in very small diameters, .020 inch, though not easy to find.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Exactly. Also for convenient wire welding located far from power source and/or reel (sometimes separate but still bulky). Try welding with common MIG gun 50' up in the air or inside a big boiler. For things like that, it's either Stick (most common) or spool gun. The self contained DC units are also great with flux core in remote off-road rigs. Hook up a battery (or two) and let 'er rip.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Thanks for the prompt reply Carm and BadDog, ,
am a little confused but that is probably "oldtimers" at its best. This might be an opportunity to clear up a few points with a bit of guidance. A few days ago I posted some queries re gas brazing etc forced in to a corner by the powers that be the head of Motor racing AA also MSA [motor South Africa] banned brazing... lets not get into that, from your joint replies its seems that the spoolgun might be good for thin type tubing the race car chassis that applies is made from. 20 swg and 18swg EWS tubing +- ,9 and 1,2 mm thickness 3/4 and 5/8 Dia. would then the fluxless wire in about 20 swg, that I saw, mentioned and a spoolgun [if I can get one] do the job, it could save me a lot of hassles. Have just been onto the Miller website, Spoolmate 200, !!! the price makes it prohibitve USA $ price 850 with the current rate of exchange that would make it approx Rand 10,000 in the US before we think of shipping, tax and so on.
Thanks again,
Golfpin
Carm

Post by Carm »

I personally would not use a spoolgun if I was welding anything BUT aluminium. I find them awkward and bulky, especially where I have to move quickly around a joint in a vertical plane.
Not being in the market for such a thing I wonder whether spoolgun + power source will be cheaper than power source with drive built in, and option of any gun you like. Though the small spools are a savings when one doesn't need more, they are actually more expensive in use and increase non-welding time in change out. I also wouldn't purchase filler without third party ratings.

So, the answer is YES, fluxcore (you said fluxless) could work in the spoolgun. If you meant fluxless, then you need shielding gas, which you are averse to.
Glenn Lyford

Post by Glenn Lyford »

golfpin wrote:Have just been onto the Miller website, Spoolmate 200, !!! the price makes it prohibitve USA $ price 850 with the current rate of exchange that would make it approx Rand 10,000 in the US before we think of shipping, tax and so on.
Also look at the Ready Welder. US price is in the $550 to 650 range depending on options and dealer, still expensive but perhaps more doable. They have versions that will run on automotive batteries as well as off of more traditional MIG and stick power supplies.

I can't open this link at work to check, but this dealer is theoretically in Kenya, I don't know if that would be any easier for you logistically than shipping from the US:

http://www.readywelderafrica.com
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

Many thanks for the succinct and prompt reply Carm and Glenn, as you will have gathered the thought went out because of the price, and yes quite right it should have read fluxcore.
The link did open for me but again the price makes it a no go.
Golfpin